CHAPTER TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE.

Phoenix and Obi-Wan walked quickly to the med-bay. He kept close by her side. After Jax had left, Phoenix didn't even feel like talking. She didn't want to be on Coruscant and she realised how much of a giant mistake all of this had been. Every doubt sprung to the forefront of her mind and she felt like sobbing. The pain in her hands and feet was worse than before. She hadn't even bothered to put on shoes before she left the apartment leaving dirt to get between the cuts on her feet. 

The glass was - thankfully - no longer in her feet but it didn't stop the discomfort. Obi-Wan went first when they reached the med-bay and explained the situation before they were led into a private room. Phoenix sat on the edge of the bed and Obi-Wan stood by the door as the droid moved in and out, deciding what supplies to get.

After the droid left to gather supplies, Obi-Wan walked over to her. He moved to sit beside her as she stared down at her hand. Her fingers pressed into the cuts despite the pain it caused. It was an odd fascination.

"Phoenix." He said as he looked to her. She turned her face upwards, wiping a few tears off her cheeks. It was important for her to look strong in front of him, especially him. She pushed a fake smile onto her face but he could see the sadness behind her eyes. He had only heard some of the conversation between the couple but he disliked it all the same.

"I'm fine, Obi-Wan. He is like this, my soon-to-be-husband," Phoenix said, trying to put up a brave face but her shoulders slumped at the confession. Obi-Wan could tell that she was exhausted with it all, "He doesn't understand what freedom means and he hates that I got her place," Phoenix muttered as she turned to look at her hands again. Her fingers pushed into the small cuts again. Obi-Wan tentatively grabbed her hand, forcing her to stop. He placed her hands on her knees and she tried to keep them there.

"I need to ask what you saw of the assassin. Any details to help me understand what happened," Obi-Wan said, ignoring the way his body lit up at just the touch of her skin. He hated that he had missed her and she hated that he did that. It reminded her of every single reason she loved him and reaffirmed - in her mind - that she shouldn't marry Jax. But she had to marry him. She couldn't call off the engagement now.

"I didn't really see anything. I was doing my speeches, daydreaming and then a blaster shot through the window. It narrowly missed my head, it was most likely refracted by the glass which is why it didn't hit me," Phoenix gestured vaguely towards her head as she spoke before she dropped her hand again, "The whole window shattered from the blaster shot and so I hid under the desk. They came through the window and I could barely see them. They were dressed in all black, tall, I couldn't tell their hair colour but the mask reminded me of the one that the assassin wore when you were chasing them on your last night on Mith," Phoenix said as she trailed her fingertips across the inside of her wrist. Obi-Wan went quiet at the mention of his last night on Mith and Phoenix shook her head softly.

"There was certainly a resemblance in the mask," Obi-Wan responded. Phoenix nodded and she turned to look at him again. He still looked as perfect as he always did. He was sitting in the stark white lights of the medbay but his eyes still reminded her of home. His hair had grown out and his beard was new but she liked the new addition. He looked put together and she felt the odd compulsion to run her fingers through his hair but she didn't.