CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX.

After Phoenix got over her initial annoyance with her fiance, she decided to try and see his presence as a positive thing. She was sure it could be. If they played their cards right, it would do wonders for them both. This could be an opportunity and as they got ready for the Senate, she felt slightly more optimistic. Jax seemed to take an interest in her views and what she wanted for Mith and by the time they had their first meeting, Jax had read through most of her speeches and agreed with her, on everything. A prospect that was strange, but one she welcomed.

This gave Phoenix the boost of confidence that she needed for the day ahead. After a shaky night and morning, she felt much better once she was in her element. To no surprise, Jax was brought into many of the debates, a lot more than what was necessary. However, it wasn't as bad as Phoenix had expected. In fact, he seemed to debate in favour of her policies and told them to listen to Phoenix. Something that she really hadn't expected but it put a wide smile on her face. Jax seemed to enjoy his time in the Senate too. Enjoying the debates and the people he met but that was part of his nature. He was a social butterfly if nothing else.

Phoenix had not seen him this jovial in a political situation in a long while. He usually seemed to hate the political debates especially when Padme had shown him up not a few days earlier. However, he was now coming into his own and when he was pressured for his perspective, his arguments seemed rehearsed and were sound in their evidence. They lined up with Phoenix and that was exactly what she needed. With a Senate that constantly seemed to be working against her, having someone on side felt good.

By the time they were done with the meetings and the main debate of the day, the pair had managed to get most of the Senators they wanted on their side. Phoenix felt a lot lighter and the worry was no longer weighing her conscience down. The traumatising events of the previous night had slipped her mind and instead, there was a light feeling in her chest.

"Your worry really was not necessary, love," Jax said as they slipped away from the crowds of Senators. Phoenix's hands slipped into his as they walked down the corridors. The arched ceilings looming above them and the sunlight pouring in, elongating their shadows in the evening light. Her smile widened as she shook her head.

"It was not unfounded though. They continued to bring you into the debate unnecessarily," Phoenix corrected and he shrugged in response. Phoenix looked up at him, her smile still bright despite the looming fear of her going back to that room and that study. Fear couldn't get the best of her. She was not going to let it.

"You're right I suppose but at the same time, it seemed to benefit your position," Jax argued and Phoenix conceded. Deciding not to argue against him as they walked back to the room. Jax opened the door for her like the gentleman he was and they went inside one after the other.

Phoenix walked over to the kitchenette and grabbed some rations. Putting them in the nanowave and setting it off. She was starving and had been for a few hours. She couldn't wait another second before she ate something. Her gaze landed on Jax after a moment. He had loosened his tie and his jacket was unbuttoned. Phoenix admired him, her smile widening as she watched him adjust his clothes.