CHAPTER SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN.

Phoenix and Jax had gotten back from the dinner late into the night. It was nearing 3am by the time they got in. Phoenix changed into her pyjamas quickly and got into bed. However, she couldn't sleep. There was something that was holding her back and she couldn't fall into the slumber she needed. Jax was sat up reading, as he always did before he slept.

Though even he seemed to be having difficulty reading. That was more likely because of the copious amounts of wine and other spirits he had drunk over the course of the night rather than whatever was afflicting Phoenix. She had opted out of drinking altogether. Alcohol only made her more paranoid when she was in an anxious headspace. So, instead, she kept a clear head. Something that she wasn't thankful for now as she put her head down to try and sleep again.

All she could think about was the assassination attempt. She just didn't understand how someone was so overtly against her that they would try to harm her. She didn't understand who would want to kill her and send someone like that. The man's touch was still clear on her skin and the bruises from his fingertips were still there. It made her feel gross but she had resigned herself to ignoring it the best she could.

Not that it was very possible. Phoenix's mind constantly drifted back to it and it was inescapable. Dragging her down whenever it had the chance. Pulling her underneath the water. Her throat constricted as the images came back. She didn't realise it had hit her this hard. She didn't understand why it had. It was just an attempt. They did nothing but bruise her and touch her. Nothing more.

But the what-ifs and the possibilities seemed to keep her awake and thinking. What if Jax hadn't walked in? Where would his hands have gone? What would he have done to her? She would be dead without Jax or she might have been assaulted in more horrific ways. One of the two, maybe both. Just those thoughts made her feel sick to the stomach, her mind running away with those possibilities.

Phoenix wanted to escape her own mind but she couldn't do it. Nothing could occupy her mind and she hated it. So, she just stayed in bed and stared off at the wall and the ceiling. Adjusting her position every few minutes due to her inability to get truly comfortable.

It took a few hours but eventually, Jax went to sleep. Phoenix could only tell due to his snores. He didn't do them often but every now and then they would appear. It was nothing irritating but only made it more difficult for Phoenix to find the solace of sleep. She was instead stuck, in her own mind and couldn't fall asleep.

After another few minutes or maybe it had been half an hour, Phoenix turned over again and grabbed her datapad. Her hand snatched it from the bedside table and she switched it on to check the time. 5am. A soft sigh escaped her lips and she shut it off again. Her head falling down and burying in the pillows. But the darkness that encompassed her vision quickly brought the paranoia down, crushing her. So, she sat up quickly. Taking a long deep breath. This was fine, she was fine. There was nobody in the room.