chapter twenty-four

     The anger from the discovery still lingered and led her to promptly leaving Obi-Wan to get dressed. She knew that she needed to talk to her father about this even if they couldn't do anything about it quite yet. She had to go to him and talk to him about this. About how she had been put in danger. Hopefully it would make him feel better about the fact that she was in love with a Jedi who would never truly love her back. Maybe it would make him see how much of a mistake the engagement was and maybe there could be a shred of forgiveness.

     So she knocked on the door of her father's study. She had heard him shuffling about in there and his gruff voice made her walk in. She took a seat across from him, a huff escaping her lips as she just tried to calm herself down. Obi-Wan's presence had made her feel a little better but it wasn't enough. She needed something to properly help her calm down. Ranting would help and she didn't want to rant to Obi-Wan. He would be rational. She didn't want that. She wanted someone who felt just as angry as she did and she could find that in her father.

     "I found out who's trying to kill me," Phoenix said as she passed her datapad over to him. Brendaen's eyebrow raised as he took the datapad from her. He read over the information on the screen and didn't quite understand it, "That's my previously joint bank account with Jax," She said as she took the datapad off him. He was going back to working but his hand stopped mid-air before he looked up at her. His eyebrow raised at her words and he placed his hands down on his desk, sitting up. He was intrigued now. Jax had been trying to kill the woman he had agreed to marry? Brendaen didn't quite understand yet so Phoenix was more than happy to explain.

     "Do you remember Jax's sister?" Phoenix asked and her father nodded. That's how her father originally got to know the Lara family. Through Jax's little sister who was running against Phoenix. It was meant to be friendly competition but Phoenix quickly realised it was only friendly while Phoenix was losing but she had won by a landslide surprise election. It was almost unheard of and when Jax's little sister found out, it seemed she was furious and Jax came to her not a week later.

     "She wanted the Senate seat..." Brendaen said quickly putting two and two together before Phoenix even got a chance to open her mouth. She nodded though and he scowled. He then flicked through a couple things on his datapad and she could see that he was going to write a message but she quickly sat up properly. Her hand slamming down over his datapad to prevent him from sending or doing anything.

     "We can't let them know we know," Phoenix said quickly and Brendaen looked at her. He seemed unimpressed, his hands resting on the desk next to the datapad but not typing anything quite yet, "Obi-Wan said that we shouldn't tell them. We need to make a case against them first before we confront them. They'll just deny it and get prepared for a legal battle," Phoenix said. It felt weird telling her father what he should do but it was necessary. She didn't want to compromise her chances even if she wanted nothing more than to tell them now. There was still a rational part to her anger-addled brain.