Leaving Home

As the hot afternoon sun peeked through the windows, it was a bittersweet moment for Anna. With the scattered clothes and boxes on her bed, one could tell she was getting ready to start a new chapter of her life in the new city where she just got admission into her dream campus.

The walls that once were filled with posters of her favorite rock band were now gone. She was packing up the few clothes left in her wardrobe when a knock came in.

"Come on in, Mom" she yelled out and the door squeaked open. Her mom walked in with a sad face. Anna's mom, Hannah, is an older version of Anna. They look alike so much that people often mistake Anna's mother for being Anna's older sister. She stood stiffened with an expression of concern and sadness as she watched her daughter pack her belongings.

Anna gazed up to find her mom staring at her. "Mom" she called in almost a whisper and dropped the cloth she was holding on the bed and walked up to her mom. She wrapped her arms around her and hugged her tightly.

"I'm going to miss you so much my baby" her mom cried hugging her right back.

"I'll miss you too Mom" she whispered back to her mom and patted her back. "I promise I'll always video call you every day and I'll come to visit once a month" she continued and released her from the embrace.

"Once in a month is quite a long time, Anna" she sniffled and Anna felt sad as she stared into her mom's eyes.

Anna has been holding back her tears, she didn't want to start crying right now so she won't change her mind about embarking on this journey.

"Mom, at times you just have to accept some decisions you can't change. I know you care for me, but sooner or later I'm bound to leave home. It'll be better if you start getting used to it now than later" she tried consoling her mom.

"I understand my child, but I don't think you understand how I feel" she sniffled and touched her daughter's cheek.

"Don't worry, you'll be fine" Anna replied holding her mom's hand. Her mom nods slightly and glanced at her baggage on the bed. "Would you like to help me finish up packing?" she asked her mom.

"Of course, it's the least I could do now" she smiled and walked over to her daughter's bed.

Anna smiled and followed right behind her. They both sat on her bed and began folding up her clothes.

"This one looks too sexy, is it for your new boyfriend over there?" she teased wiggling her brows.

"Mom, would you stop teasing me?!" Anna scolded her playfully and laughed.

"Whoo...This one looks like something you want to wear on your first night of having sex" she teased again holding a black lingerie with a matching bra.

"Mom, stop!" she whined reaching out to collect it from her hand but her mom raised it higher.

"Do you have a boyfriend and you didn't tell me?" Anna's mom raised a brow at her daughter.

"Of course not! I don't have a boyfriend. Can't I just buy some sexy stuff that I like?" she asked with a pout and her mom laughed.

"Sure you can, but there is something about this one-"

"Okay, enough mom, I don't want you to help me out anymore, please leave my room," she said playfully.

"I'm sure you didn't mean that" her mom replied while she reached out for another of her daughter's undies. The one she picked up this time around was a pink bikini that Anna had bought while she was doing her last shopping a few days ago.