Chapter 69: Poker Is a Man's Romance

Shutdown of the System? You must be joking with me! Are you planning to go on a strike?

【System will still be operational during the collateral period. However, if the user fails to repay the debt in full within 5 years, System will automatically go into shutdown.】

"Earning 500,000 gold coins within 5 years..." muttered Roel under his breath with a tight frown.

He looked at the collapsed walls and corpses all around him. He could hear a loud commotion echoing from a place where his eyes couldn't see. It was clear to him that many people had been rallied together here for a purpose. As for what that purpose was, Roel could roughly fathom a guess.

War.

Just by looking at his surroundings, it was obvious that they were navigating a street ravaged by war. The weapons and corpses lying all over the place couldn't possibly make that any more obvious. Had Roel not been 'trained' for this through the gruesome gore movies he had seen in his previous life, he would have vomited right away.

Knowing they were in the middle of a war, though, did nothing to enlighten them to the plight they were in. Roel had a ludicrous deduction in his mind, but he didn't voice it aloud because he was hoping for it not to be the case.

He shot a look at Nora to check on her current condition. She was currently squatting behind a ruin to observe the surroundings, looking for a safe location where they could rest for the time being.

Even though she was trying her best to conceal it, through her slight gestures and expressions, Roel was still able to tell that she was suffering from some sort of abnormal physical condition too. Ever since they were transported here, her movements felt a little delayed.

It must be an effect from the burst of light Holy Eminence John caused... But, shouldn't that be a buff rather than a debuff? It can't be that her bloodline is awakening right now, can it?

Roel wondered as he tightened his fists.

All transcendental powers in this world came at a price, and this included bloodlines too. The Angel's Bloodline was much safer in the sense that the cost of using its abilities was much lower, but nevertheless, the awakening from Bronze-tier to Silver-tier still carried significant dangers.

Recalling how Nora bravely stood forth to protect him from Peter earlier, Roel felt something stirring within him. He felt that it was time to repay the debt.

It was one thing if he was truly completely helpless, but someone had already pointed a road out for him. Given that Nora was in bad shape now, it was his turn to step up and shoulder the burden.

70% probability of success, I shall bet on it!

"Yes, I choose to awaken my bloodline!"

【Bloodline Awakening Support System activating...】
【Pain Suppression System activated.】
【Adaptation System activated.】
【Progress of Bloodline Awakening: 8%】

A series of notifications popped up from the System. As if many steroids were injected into Roel's body all at once, he felt his headache swiftly receding as the mana in his body grew explosively. A light cracking sound echoed within his body as his bones and muscles automatically adjusted into the most suitable constitution to match his abilities.

Several seconds later, Roel leaped to his feet. His golden eyes regained their previous spirit, and his movements were sharp and nimble. This abrupt change surprised Nora, who was still busy scanning the area.

"Roel, are you fine now?"

"Pretty much so. Did you manage to find anything?"

"Not yet. It seems like an intense battle has just occurred in the vicinity; there are barely any buildings that are still intact. There aren't any good hiding places at the moment. Furthermore, I think that our current position isn't too good."