Chapter 73: The Truth of History

"Lord Roel, Lord Nora, will bread do? Here is some jam I bought from a street vendor. It goes quite well with the bread."

"Thanks, Klaude. Aren't you going to eat too?"

"I'm fine. I just ate not too long ago."

Ever since Roel and Nora arrived at the monastery, the middle-aged monk had been scrambling around to attend to their every need, not resting in the slightest. It was almost as if he was afraid of neglecting them.

Feeling a pair of eyes brimming with respect and admiration staring intently at him, Roel felt a huge headache.

(Affection Points +100!)

What in the world is going on here? Do you even recognize me? It's not as if I'm some sort of god who has descended upon the world to offer you salvation, so why are you giving me so many Affection Points?!?!

Roel had never known that affection could be so burdensome too. Every time he saw green light beaming from Klaude's head, he felt like the weight on his shoulders was getting heavier and heavier, as if someone was heaping expectations on him.

Wait a moment. Could it be because... I'm too handsome?

Roel munched on a slice of bread as he nodded his head solemnly. He felt that his guess made perfect sense. Otherwise, why would a stranger treat them so well as to even offer them precious rations?

One must know that it was the entire Holy Capital that was in turmoil at the moment! Even if they were noble children, there was no guarantee that they would get a reward for returning them to their parents, especially since their parents were very possibly dead.

"Klaude, may I ask you a few questions?"

"Yes, of course! Feel free to ask!"

While Roel's mind was still wandering all over the place, Nora engaged in a conversation with this overly passionate monk.

"Are the armies fighting out there Prince Wade's and Princess Victoria's?" asked Nora.

This was an odd question, considering how the fighting had been going on for half a month now. It was impossible for anyone in the Holy Capital to not know of it. Klaude was understandably taken aback, but soon recovered.

Of course! The Holy Sons have just descended from heaven, only to be met by such chaos. They must still be trying to grasp the situation. Oh ho, isn't this a good opportunity for me to show my worth?

"You must be confused by what's happening in the city. Why don't I explain everything to you?"

"Yes, that would be much appreciated. Thank you, Klaude."

"No no, this is what I ought to do!"

"..."

Putting aside Roel, who could literally see affection, even Nora was starting to feel somewhat overwhelmed by just how passionate Klaude was. In the end, she chose to attribute it to his sense of righteousness.

For the next few minutes, Klaude exhibited his scholarly credentials. He explained the circumstances surrounding the two factions in a clear and concise manner.

The battle started at the beginning of March, and it has been ongoing for half a month now. The entire Holy Capital went into lock down and became isolated from the rest of the world. No one is allowed to enter or leave the city. It's a struggle between Prince Wade along with three allied eminent noble houses against Princess Victoria and the Theocracy's Guardian Knights and Knight Orders.

The three noble houses are the Belfasts, the Weiss, and the Elrics, though to be more exact, the Belfasts and the Weiss are only playing a supporting role. The bulk of Prince Wade's strength comes from the Elrics.