Chapter 92: Crown of Lightning

One of the reasons why the Twelve Wings were known as holy weapons was because they were believed to possess the power to understand the heart of a human. The abilities they incubate were often in line with the will of their wielders, which, in a sense, could be considered as the fulfillment of wishes.

Roel was a weak child, so Ascendwing responded to him by granting him 'The Unruly' ability, allowing him to free himself from dangerous situations. To Ponte, the Twelve Wings chose to grant him greater offensive power instead.

Those in the Hextongue Faction were reputed for their exceptional spellcasting speed, bizarre transference spells, and powerful disturbance spells. However, similar to most Scholar Factions in Brolne, it had a fatal flaw—its lacking offensive prowess. He lacked supreme power that could determine a fight.

Due to that, Ponte desired greater offensive prowess, and the response given to him by the Twelve Wings was the spell, Angel's Chorale. This was a powerful spell that focused all of the spellcaster's mana into a burst of destructive light. There was no questioning its prowess.

From the moment of its appearance, all soldiers on the battlefield could vaguely hear a divine hymn sounding in their ears, as if an angel was conveying his blessings through the light. However, to the target of the attack, Wade, it sounded no different than the voice of death.

"Your Highness!"

Felder was the first one to react in that situation. His loyalty toward his liege compelled him to charge forward fearlessly to shield his liege from this fatal attack despite knowing the consequences that would befall him.

Roel's eyes widened in astonishment at the sight. He never thought Felder, or to be more exact, Bryan, would be the sort of person to actually give up his life for someone else. In his view, Bryan was a cold-hearted individual who prioritized the Elric House above everything else, including his own family. Yet, here he was, like a knight depicted in legends, unhesitatingly laying down his life to protect his liege.

As Felder dashed forward, he channeled his mana to its limits, swiftly forming innumerable layers of defensive shields out of his blood mist to fend against the burst of light. However, his defense was insufficient against the destructive might of Angel's Chorale, which harnessed both the mana of Ponte and Victoria. His blood mist defensive shields were swiftly penetrated layer after layer with frightening speed, faster than the rate that he could generate them.

At the final moment, just as the last layer of the blood mist defensive shield was about to be breached, a hand pushed Felder away from the line of attack—Wade.

Wade managed to save Felder in the last instant, but the result of that was a direct hit from Angel's Chorale. The bloodied Felder cried hoarsely in despair, and all soldiers on the battlefield, be it ally or enemy, were shaken by the sight.

The duty of a knight was to protect his liege, but how many lieges in the world would be willing to stand forward and sacrifice himself for his knight? Wade's action was noble yet foolish, and he paid a heavy price for that.

Even after being weakened by Felder's blood mist, Angel's Chorale was still not a spell which Wade could withstand. His crimson lightning bolts were devoured by the silver light, and his blood and flesh were charred by its destructive energy. It all culminated into a deafening explosion before everything slowly settled.

The soldiers, who had finally regained their sight, put aside everything they were doing to look at the fallen prince on the ground.

"I-is he dead?"

"Have we won?"

Victoria's forces stared at Wade from afar as they sought confirmation from one another in disbelief. Wade's soldiers shouted in panic, hoping that their liege would open his eyes and tell them that this was not real. Felder was staring at Wade's body with dilated pupils. Despite his injuries, he dashed forward without a care in the world to ascertain Wade's current condition. It was almost as if someone had hit the pause button in the middle of the intense battle.