Chapter 97: I Might Be Strong Now, But I'm Poor!

Victoria and Ponte were also from the Xeclydes and the Ascarts, so their behavior implicitly formed an example for Nora and Roel to follow, almost like role models.

Just that they were negative role models.

Just thinking of the way Victoria had Ponte tightly in her grasp made Roel feel deeply uncomfortable. He swore to himself that he would never end up suffering the same plight as his ancestor. That said, their interactions did spawn a sliver of doubt in his mind. While Ponte hadn't shown it explicitly, it was apparent that he had Victoria in his heart. Yet, the two of them still ended up parting ways in the end?

Roel scratched his head in confusion. Could it be that the modified portions of history weren't just limited to Wade? Perhaps, there had been some tampering over on Victoria's side too. He didn't think that the two lovebirds, who thought of dying together under Wade's blade, would later actually split apart.

Should I look through Ponte's diaries to find out?

Such a thought did flash across Roel's mind for an instant, but he immediately shook his head reflexively. It was almost as if his mind was subconsciously rejecting the diaries, so that he could keep his mental sanity.

"Forget it, it's too humiliating to read that stuff. Besides, I have something more important to deal with..."

Roel muttered to himself as his eyes slowly turned sharp.

Aside from power and knowledge, there was another important thing that Roel obtained from the Witness State—military intelligence. He learned that Felder Elric was the same person as Bryan Elric. He didn't think that it was possible for the Calamity of Bloodshed to have made a mistake.

So far, Roel hadn't told Nora about this matter, because he didn't have any evidence to back up his words, and this piece of information was completely useless back in the Witness State.

However, now that the two of them had returned, the confidential information was, without a doubt, worth its weight in gold. It was just that there was still one, small, persnickety issue, and that was...

... he still didn't have any evidence.

It had been more than a century since the March Turmoil, and Felder's existence had already been buried beneath the dust of history. There were no articles of evidence or eye-witnesses left that Roel could use to corroborate his story, and his one-sided words weren't powerful enough to achieve anything. If he recklessly made a move without planning things out thoroughly, he would only be unnecessarily alarming Bryan, making him more difficult to deal with.

Despite all that, it was not like Roel was completely helpless. Bryan was not some hermit crab who could freely change his shell to live forever. Someone who had managed to live so long was bound to have some dirt on him, and there was a good chance that dirt was an evil cult. Now, he just had to dig carefully.

Speaking of evil cults, the one behind the assassination attempt a week ago was paying a heavy price for its actions right now. Aside from the inquisitors dispatched by the church, his father, Marquess Carter, was not someone to be messed with either. He had divided his army into special task forces, and under the pretext of 'eliminating a threat to the Theocracy', he had them join in the hunt for the evil cultists.

Due to the incidents at Nora's birthday banquet and the following reprisals, the Elric House had been severely weakened and would probably try to lie low for the time being. Considering this, Bryan was also unlikely to be able to pull anything in the short-run.

Therefore, Roel could rest easy for the time being. He slept well and ate well. After going through the horrors of war, he finally realized how much of a blessing it was just to be alive and eat good food.