Chapter 79: Battle in the Monastery

A person should know their limits.

This was a saying that Roel felt was appropriate to be used anywhere regardless of the circumstances, and this was especially so in a world where transcendent powers were possible. Knowing what one was capable of allowed one to make correct choices in the face of trouble.

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail," muttered Roel.

He had always believed in making careful preparations before doing anything. Before taking action, he had already thought out the possible situations and made countermeasures for them accordingly. It might have been a hot-blooded gamble driven by emotions, but it was definitely not blind recklessness.

Assuming that the 'trouble' that was coming for them was really Skin Grafter Peter Kater, it would mean that he had managed to overcome the platoon of soldiers from back then. In that platoon, three of them were at Origin Level 5 and the rest were Origin Level 6s. By this gauge, it should be safe to assume that Peter's strength was at Origin Level 4.

It was unlikely for his level to be any higher, since that would mean that had to be Origin Level 3. Remember that Origin Level 3 marked a high-level transcendent, a being who possessed immeasurable power. If he was really that powerful, there was no way he would have faced any difficulties trying to deal with those soldiers.

Also, Nora likely had no confidence in defeating Peter, considering how she reacted back at the art studio. With her Angel's Bloodline, she was far stronger than ordinary transcendents of the same level. She even had the possibility of challenging some Origin Level 4s.

Through using such comparisons, Roel concluded that Peter Kater's strength was at the stronger side amongst Origin Level 4s, probably like a C+ by the System's standards. This meant that he was two whole levels stronger than Roel.

It was typically impossible for an Origin Level 6 to defeat an Origin Level 4, but after careful consideration, Roel felt that he still stood a chance.

Peter Kater was certainly powerful, but he had one weakness—he was a pure magician. This could be seen from his attitude when he showed-off his art studio, as well as the way he defended himself when dealing with the attacks from the platoon of soldiers earlier. He displayed ordinary physical prowess and even ended up getting stabbed in his thigh.

If one were to just look at his constitution by itself, it was at most on par with an Origin Level 5 close-combat warrior. Perhaps, he might even be physically weaker than Roel too!

Furthermore, after the bitter battle he had been through, it was likely that he was in a weakened state. After all, the transcendent abilities in this world all came at a price, especially for evil cultists. This could be seen from the battles between the Theocracy and the evil cults.

Roel once heard from Carter that the Theocracy rarely had the upper ground when facing off with evil cultists right from the start. The evil cultists tended to have exceptionally powerful offensive transcendent abilities, which made it hard to face them straight on.

However, as long as they dragged the battle out, the scales would swiftly tip in the Theocracy's favor. In fact, there were times where the cultists would die on their own from being unable to foot the price of their own abilities!

Living life to the extreme, this was the fundamental nature of evil cults.

Taking all of these factors into consideration, a plan was slowly taking shape in Roel's mind. The key to whether he could achieve victory basically hinged on two factors—whether he was able to get close enough to Peter, and whether he was able to wield sufficient attack prowess to break Peter's defense.