XXX

I drove Harry's car home and parked it in the lame way, smiling like crazy. This was perfect; Harry liked me back, and now we were dating! I was sure Allie would want to hear the news, but I'd save that for tomorrow. I got out, locked the door, and carefully held onto the keys, letting myself inside the house.

I tiptoed to my room, trying my best not to wake my parents. I set the keys on my dresser, before changing into pajamas and laying down in bed. I smiled up at the ceiling before snuggling up to my blankets and falling asleep.

~*~

When I woke up the next morning, I stared dazedly up at the ceiling, almost forgetting the exciting events of yesterday. Once I did, I giggled to myself before rolling out of bed and heading to the kitchen to grab a quiet breakfast.

Well, what I'd hoped would be a quiet breakfast. Instead, when I entered, both of my parents were sitting at the table, sipping coffee. They looked up when I entered.

"You're back," my mom said blandly.

I nodded, grabbing some bread and popping it into the toaster. "Yep."

"How was it?" my dad asked, not quite sounding interested at all.

"Good," I answer, leaning against the counter and waiting for my bread to be done.

"The other day, I briefly saw this couple, and the girl looked oddly like you," my mom casually said.

"Oh yeah?" I tried not to laugh at the memory of me and Harry running away once she had spotted us. "That's interesting."

"Indeed." She looked at me closely. "I hate what you did with your hair," she noted before going back to sipping her coffee. My dad looked up briefly from the newspaper he was hiding behind.

I pursed my lips, grabbing my toast once it popped out of the toaster and buttering it. Well, that kind of sucks, Mom, because I don't really give a shit.

I added jam to my toast before leaving to eat in the living room. I curled up in the corner of my couch, munching on my toast. I absentmindedly looked around, my gaze landing on the front yard that I could see from the huge window. My eyes wandered to the drive way, and my eyes widened when I noticed that Harry's car wasn't there.

"Mom! Dad!" I exclaimed, rushing back into the kitchen. They both gave me bored looks. "What happened to the other car in the lane way?!"

"I had it towed," my mother responded simply.

I clenched my fists. "Why?"

"It was trespassing," she answered. "What's it to you?"

Before I could answer, the doorbell went off. I sighed, heading off to answer it.

When I pulled open the door, it was Harry who stood there (go figure). Before he could say or do anything, I immediately started rambling. "I'm so sorry about your car, I never even thought my parents would be home this morning, they got it towed, I don't know where it would be, and it's my fault partly, because I left it in the lane way and everything, and I'm just so sorry but-"

Harry pressed a finger to my lips, silencing me. "It's fine, I promise," he said, a smile on his face. "It's just a car."

I raised an eyebrow. "Cars are expensive, though."

"It's fine, Clara," he said.

"Rich people," I muttered, grinning at Harry.

"Who's at the door?" my dad hollered.

I bit the inside of me cheek. "If you, um, want to meet my parents, then I guess now is your opportunity."

"I'd love to." Harry smiled.

"Just a warning, um, they scared away a boyfriend I had in like, grade five," I said apprehensively. "They're not the nicest."

"I'm sure I can handle it," he assured me, so I let him in, leading the way to the kitchen. My parents both looked up at me, but then their eyes travelled to Harry.

"Um, this is my boyfriend," I said, smiling and bracing myself for any insults.

Sure enough, they came.

"This is what you were doing instead of babysitting?" my mom asked. "Fucking random men?"

"I wonder how the child's mother reacted when she found out her child was actually being neglected," my dad sneered.

"I actually was the 'child' that she babysat," Harry spoke up.

Silence fell over the kitchen.

"What the hell?" my dad said. "You look at least a year older than her."

"Two years," Harry corrected, looking like he was enjoying their confused face. I couldn't help but smile as well.

"Why would you need a babysitter?" Dad asked.

Harry shrugged. "I guess I'm just a lot of trouble."

"I know what's actually going on here," my mother claimed. "Clara made up the babysitting job; she just needed an excuse to go over and be a whore."

I bit my lip, trying not to do anything rash. Harry, however, exploded.

"How dare you!" he yelled, and both my parents looked shocked that he was actually talking back, considering the first boy I had ever brought home hadn't said anything and had just left. "How fucking dare you. You have a beautiful and brilliant daughter, and this is how you treat her? Like shit? In case you couldn't tell, she's fucking insecure because of you two assholes. I bet you've never told her once that you love her, which is fucking stupid. She's your own flesh and bones, and yet you treat her like she's dirt! Well, let me tell you something. Clara is the best person I've ever met, and she changed me from a person I hated into a person I love. She is absolutely beautiful, and I love her so much it hurts. I've always wondered why she was never super confident in herself, but now I see why; she has two jackasses for parents. You two are literally so stupid it pains me. You don't deserve to have a daughter as great as Clara."

We all lapsed into silence once again. My parents were shocked, their eyes wide and their mouths open. I was blushing, butterflies in my stomach because 1) Harry said he loved me, and 2) I was worried about how my parents would react to that. Harry was still fuming, his eyes dark, his face red. He was breathing hard from his little rant.

A couple minutes passed by painfully slowly, and no one spoke. Harry turned to me eventually and jerked his head towards the door. "Let's go."

I followed Harry to the door, and as I rested my hand on the doorknob to close it, my parents came into the hallway.

"Clara," my mom began in a warning tone, but I was sick and tired of them controlling me and treating me poorly, so I did something I never thought I'd do: I flipped her off and then slammed the door behind me.

~~

Yay exams are over so I'm back :)

Okay so I want to ask if chapter 25 (xxv) shows up bc my phone is telling me that it's not published but I was sure it was

I'm obsessed with Dylan O'Brien and Thomas Brodie-Sangster rn I need help