chapter 13

[Listen to: We're hitting everything (ambient) - The American Dollar]

Morning broke as the two lovers sat in the front seat of the car. Ushijima was driving as Tendou sang to the songs his friend put on. They have roughly been on the road for about two hours now. It started to get late as Wakatoshi turned left to go into the forest he drove alongside. The broken branches were cracking under the vehicle's wheels as it was shaking from the bumpy ground. The autumn atmosphere set the mood for a romantic night for the two guy friends. Northern lights took shape, dancing in the starry sky, changing from green to purple as the colors blended. The green-haired man stopped the car and parked behind a tree. He took a large blanket out of his bag, big enough to keep him and his friend wrapped up, nice and cozy. He laid it out on the back of the pickup truck and placed two fluffy pillows, an extra thinner cover, and a remote. The remote had many buttons as it was used for the LED lights located on the inside of the truck's back. They both climbed on the back of the car and snuggled between the duvet and the sheets.

"Do you want to see something cool?"

Ushijima fired up the lights as they turned blue, as well as turning on his phone and a mini projector that projected a romantic movie onto the immense tree in front of them. Their fingers touched, brushing onto each other's skin as light reflected onto their eyes. Tendou leaned in to kiss Ushijima's cheek while he rested his head on his chest as they watched the movie.

"A thousand-star hotel, this is better than any building I've ever slept in."

The redhead's hand caressed his lover's biceps as he fell asleep on the man's torso, drooling over the dark navy blue shirt. Wakatoshi tried to watch the movie until everything went blurry. He was too exhausted to keep watching as he slowly dozed off.

[Listen to: Before you sleep - Matt Tondut]
[Tendou's dream]

A bright light blinded the red-haired boy. It soon vanished, divulging a mysterious man staring at him.

"Hurry up, live your life to the fullest, quick. Time is running out."

The stranger confused Satori. In that dream, the latter couldn't speak. He couldn't make any sound whatsoever. Suddenly, the scene transitioned to Tendou being underwater, trying to talk. The redhead looked up and saw red and blue lights through the surface of the water. The boy was stuck at the bottom of the sea, back against the illuminated, wet sand. He observed, eyes open, as he was underneath the salty water. When he lazily closed his eyes, he could hear Semi's, Hayato's, Shirabu's, Goshiki's, Taichi's, and Ushijima's voices. Their tones were dull. Everything turned into a shadowy mist as the dream gradually started fading away.

[End of Tendou's dream]

Satori slept in the back alone. Dawn was hitting his skin as the morning birds were singing. The young adult tiredly awoke, noticing Wakatoshi wasn't there. Tendou jumped, panicking as he was afraid that he lost the love of his life again.

He violently turned around to see if he was still there. To his surprise, the taller gentleman was by the passenger seat door, wringing out his soaked shirt. The man was shirtless. Red cheeks appeared on Satori's face as he stuttered, trying to tell Ushijima he was glad he didn't leave his side. Worried that Wakatoshi could catch a cold this morning, Tendou bounced out of the car and sprinted towards him, as he embraced him with a hug. His face reddening even more. Let's say that it was for his own pleasure as well.

"Ah! Wakatoshi~Kun put on a shirt. We're outside!"

"You were drooling all over me last night."

"WHAA- I don't remember doing anything dirty with you last night!~"

Tendou quickly crouched, pressing his hands against his face to cover his blush. The shy young adult was teasing the taller confused man. Ushijima walked past him and put on a new shirt. Tendou stood up and followed him. They both had an idea, going on a morning walk while taking advantage of the morning's gentle breeze. They put on light coats and scarves just in case the riverside was too chilly. Wakatoshi walked ahead as the shorter boy strolled along behind him. After a couple of seconds in silence, the redhead rushed in very close towards Ushijima's back, putting his icy hands in the latter's warm pockets. Resting his head on his lover's nape, he kept walking, feeling the dry leaves cracking under the soles of his shoes. The refreshing October air reminded him of how much fun he had with Semi last year during Halloween-enjoying a warm slice of pumpkin pie and hot green tea while throwing dead leaves at each other.

"Don't you miss your friend?"

Tendou sighed, laying against Ushijima's upper back.

"For me, it was like leaving a member of my family behind. The only one who ever respected me."

Soon after that, the green-haired man suggested going to a beautiful beach, three hours away from where they were staying. Thrilled, the shorter gentleman accepted and hugged his friend tighter. Observing the clouds, Satori felt the warmth of the sunshine hitting his pale skin. A gorgeous eagle flew through the sky.

"Do you wanna fly Wakatoshi?"

"That'd be cool."

"When you fly, you're free. I want to be as free as an eagle."

The buff man didn't take any more steps as he suggested they turn back to the pickup. Tendou nodded in agreement. Once they got back to the vehicle, both men tried to organize and clean everything before continuing their trip. An hour passed, there was no noise in the car as Wakatoshi didn't turn on the radio. Satori, a bit hungry, reached for a granola bar. It was the only thing he ate in the past twenty-four hours. As a way to pass the time, he liked to balance his index and middle finger as if his hand was running on the road while Ushijima was driving. His childish behavior never failed to make his lover chuckle. They both made each other feel vigorous. As they smiled, full of life, Wakatoshi eventually turned on the radio to add some music to increase the "party" ambient sound. Singing along with the windows down, they were the only ones on the road. The red-haired boy reached outside the window as he extended his arms out, pretending that he was flying.

"I'm flying!"

The taller man laughed and just enjoyed every second of this unforgettable moment. Tendou Satori was living his life to the fullest, escaping reality as he always dreamed of. All, with the person he fell in love with.