Moving forward

Welcome to Afterlife
2x16 Afterlife
Skye's POV

I wake up with a gasp, my eyes snap open, and I begin to survey the area

I wake up with a gasp, my eyes snap open, and I begin to survey the area. Why did I wake up unconscious? Where am I? More importantly, why am I naked with acupuncture needles sticking out of me?

As my eyes continue to adjust to all the light in the room, Gordon appears in my line of sight trying not to startle me. While still feeling a little scared I feel I little relief knowing that Gordon didn't abandon me somewhere all by myself. Gordon tries to keep me calm by telling me that I'm safe but it doesn't feel that way. How can I be safe when I don't know where I am? That's what S.H.I.E.L.D. told me about the Retreat but look how that turned out.

The Retreat. I start to remember that night and start freaking out as Gordon tries to jog my memory. I ask him how much time has passed since he brought me to this place that meant for people like us. Gordon casually and calmly tells me I've been here for the past two days.

"T-t-- I need to- I need to go," I tell him. My heart's sinking to my stomach, my team's lost contact with me for two days. They don't know what happened to me. Hell, I don't even know what happened to them. I tried to move but I'm stuck, these acupuncture needles are somehow paralyzing me. "They need me. Something bad has happened. Oh, why can't I move?" I ask Gordon. I can't be here. I have to go back to my friends.

"What are you doing to me," I ask Gordon. But the voice that answered back didn't belong to him. A man came in, he seemed to be around my age. "We're healing you," he tells me. I get a better look at him as he enters the room more. "Leaving now wouldn't exactly be... [Chuckles] You ever made microwave popcorn?" he asks aloud before continuing, "Leave it in too long, and it's charcoal. Take it out too soon, and it's a bag of kernels. That might be the worst analogy ever. Gordo, help me out here".

Gordon laughs and leaves this stranger to figure out the analogy. "I have to go now. You're in very good hands. He's smarter than he looks," he tells me. Soon after, Gordon takes his leave and now I'm all alone with this stranger. "He's been by your side since the moment you got here," he tells me as he checks the tablet in his hand.

Why does this man keep talking to me so casually like we know each other? I've finally had enough and wanted answers. "Who are you?" I ask him. He looks at me caught off guard, "Sorry," he begins, "I thought-- I'm Lincoln, your transitioner. Right. I-I keep forgetting you're new to this. E-everyone who goes through terrigenesis has, uh, a transitioner to help them". I don't have time for this long version, I need to find my friends. I tell him to cut to the chase and just give me a short sweet reduced version of his explanation.

" Right, yeah. Let me start from the top. Imagine a thousand years of evolution taking place instantaneously. T-that's what happened to you after the mist. These treatments... we're helping your body adjust properly to the change, transitioning you quickly and painlessly, I hope. We usually like to start the process right after the mist, but as-". It seems like his short version is still long so I cut to the chase too. "How long," I ask, "When can I go?". Lincoln is now seated next to me. " You got places to be, people to see," he wonders. "I'm worried about my friends," I tell him, "I think they're in danger". My transition begins to shake his head. "You're the one that's in danger, Skye. Remember? You're being hunted".