eighteen; birthday blues

THE LIVING ROOMAND THE PATTERSONS

THE LIVING ROOM
AND THE PATTERSONS

SAF BREATHES SHAKILY as she stares down at her sister. Just moments ago, she was spitting at them all about leaving her at the dance, before she took her anger out on Luke.

Never had Saf seen Julie so angry. And, perhaps, she was to blame for that. Death can have some pretty nasty repercussions and effects to those the deceased left behind, and Julie was the closest person to Saf before she died. Losing her would've been a nasty blow, emotionally, and then losing their mom? That last cling on emotional stability was lost.

Now, Julie had all this pent up anger and emotion, and she needed to release it at some point. The dance was the last straw, and she took it all out on the physically closest thing to her, and in that moment, it was Luke.

He was right in front of her, begging her to come back into the band, and the was the last thing Julie needed. She wanted some understanding, a serious apology, she wanted someone to empathise with her. And Luke just didn't understand, therefore, he got the brunt of her anger.

It just wasn't fair, for either of them. This was a tough one.

Julie sighs, and the boys walk forward.

"Hey, you, uh...you got a second?" Alex asks slowly, gazing down at the girl.

Saf holds back, not wanting a repeat of the studio. She watches as Julie sighs, placing her textbook on the couch and pulling her feet up, ignoring them.

"Oh my gosh! She can't see us anymore!" Reggie exclaims, both Alex and Saf glaring at him with annoyance.

Alex holds back a sarcastic laugh, biting his lip before walking around the coffee table and perching on the lamp stand next to the couch.

"Oh. Right. Yep." Reggie says, everything finally clicking.

"Julie, please." Alex says warmly, and the girl finally looks up from her book, glancing at Alex, then Saf.

"I already told you that I'm done with the band." She tells the boy. Saf licks her lips, placing her hands in her pockets and standing next to Reggie.

"Yeah, we know, alright?" Alex sighs. Saf nods.

"It's not about that, Jules. Please." She tells the girl warmly. Alex agrees, looking back down at the girl. She glances at Saf before turning back to Alex.