𝐄𝐍𝐃

All that starts, eventually comes to an end.

AZIEL

I laid a soft kiss to the top of her resting head, letting my lips linger for a moment. Pulling away, watching her in the fading dawn of the morning, she looked so beautiful. My Romina, my prey.

"You were good prey, Romina," I whispered to her sleeping form, stroking a long finger down her cheeks. Her lips were swollen and her body was tired—spent.

Her stomach rose and fell beneath her set of heavy covers, sprawled over her sweaty body. The stomach that would soon swell, holding and creating what I'd impregnated her with.

So beautiful, so soft.

I watched her, in this calm of the day. I knew it would not last. I knew her soft innocence and calm demeanor would fade as my seed spread through her system and let turmoil rise to the surface. It was that: my purpose. To breed the souls not belonging to our own.

"So fun to play with."

I closed my eyes and breathed in the sex-filled air of the hotel room. It calmed me, this familiar scent. How many nights I'd left my prey in this exact situation before, how many nights I'd rested calm before the path of fire my existence promised.

I filled a cup of water and placed it by her bedside, pulling up her covers to protect her shoulders from the night.

She feared monsters. Poor thing gave herself up to one.

Drawing my lips down in a practiced movement of pity, I walked away from my pregnant prey. I could not stay—I never did. There was always another waiting to be tainted by the sins of my craft, by the nights and labours I imposed on their sleepless minds. My new muse was small, fragile, alone. I could see her, yes.

Closing my eyes, the Void filled my whole and I saw her: my muse, my prey. My target.

Walking away, I ran a hand through my dark rooted hair, swiping it aside from my face. Slowly, I let the darkness embrace me, fill me, change me. I turned off the lights in the hall and the washroom, letting the room fall truly dark and silent. With the faint ebb of light filtering in through the windows, I caught my reflection in the mirror opposite me.

Blue eyes stared back, caught between oceans and skies. A crest of golden hair fell across my brow, unkept. The strong line of my nose was now smooth and turned, slightly curved to the side.

An accident from high school varsity, I'd say. Fixing the varsity jacket that was now on my shoulders, I turned to leave through the door.

"Who-who are you?"

Freezing in place, I slowly turned to face a spent looking Romina, sheets wrapped around her nude form. Her hand was holding her stomach. Pain pinched her lips together. Pain I gave her.

"I never said I would stay."

Realization dawned on her, but it wasn't the bright dawn that came with day. It was the crushing defeat of night that swallowed her, casting shadows across her face. "Aziel?"

"Yes." There was no point in lying. She already knew the truth.

She'd simply been foolish enough to not accept it.

"It hurts."

Her fingers twisted around her stomach. I stared at the movement, knowing very well what was going on inside of her.

"Let it pass," I said.

"You can't go." Her eyes started to shine with raw tears, unshed.

I knew they would be shed soon.

"I must."

She didn't reply, she didn't try again. She stayed silent. She knew the truth, she knew I couldn't stay. She knew I didn't even want to.

No words came to me, no words that would fit in the stifling silence. No words that would mend her broken heart, no words that would stop the beast from growing inside of her. So I left her without words, I left her without empty promises.

I left her because that's what a demon does. They find, they take, and they leave.

I'm sorry, Romina.

I hope that someday you find someone better than me.

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐍𝐃

MY BOOK Morphine shows what happens to Romina after. She's not the main character of the book, but you'll see. Trust me on this one hehe)