Chapter 9 Hope

It's, quite. There's no noise, not even the sound of your footsteps could be heard as echoes along the walls, but some how it's better this way. It's almost, soothing. To have no sound and be in such a dimly lit place.

Truth be told you're not sure where you are, but the water here glows a soft blue and the flowers glow a similar shade as they dance with your movements. This place, you feel like it's familiar. Like you know a place like this. Your eyes drag up to the sky, and where you thought you'd see the dark navy of the night sky with its twinkling stars and shimmering moon, was replaced with a ceiling with crystals that hung so distantly above they could of been mistaken for stars.

It was beautiful and yet in its own way, carried a sense of sadness to it. Captivating. A longing for freedom. You're not sure how you got here, how you even wandered inside this strange cave. But here you were. Walking with the flowers and admiring the soft world around you. It filled you, with determination.

At first, you had forgotten about your previous predicament. Forgotten about Error and ink, sans and papyrus. Toriel and asgore. Alphys and undyne, all the other lovely monsters you had become friends with. And, last, but certainly not least and by far the most important, Chara.

All of your troubles were behind you, and it was as if time it's self was no more. It felt better this way. Softly sitting down in the deep blue grass you closed your eyes in contentment, listening to the sudden sound that suddenly became present. In the distance it sounded as if a soft shower was taking place. Rain pittering against the floor of the cave, but it was merely a sound. (And no matter how you tried to see it, you simply couldn't see the rain.) Mixed with the sound of the soft rush of water from the river system, it was as if you had finally achieved true contentment.

The flowers softly swayed at your side, as if a soft wind gently blew them that way. Everything felt right in the world and all that truly mattered was this moment. That was, until suddenly someone intruded your small world.

"(Y/N)." The voice, it sounded, strange. Your eyes opened quickly but you oddly found you didn't feel afraid. No not like you had felt when he talked. Suddenly, memories of all the events that had lead to this exact moment flooded your mind. How did you exactly end up here? Did error kill you, take your soul? Is this what the after life looks like?

"You don't need to worry." The voice spoke again, sounding calm as ever. It seemed to notice your sudden frantic state as you looked around about to rise in an effort to get a real sense of this world around you.

"I'm here to help you, and hopefully return you to your Au before your code corrupts." The voice seemed to have a gentle and childlike nature to it. But somehow it was stern and serious.

What does the voice mean by code? Like a computer code?

Your nose crinkled confused at the thought. No way the voice means that, and besides you're not even sure you trust this whole situation. Where was Chara? All their new friends and family? Where were they all?

"I'm sorry, you must be confused, it's rude of me not to introduce my self." The voice seemed sympathetic and almost guilty for not introducing itself. To make up for it they revealed themselves, a small child roughly the size and height of Chara stood before you now. Though where there should be eyes, two large gaping holes were in their place. (The eyes looked like they should of been black and hollow, but instead they were white and almost seemed to glow. It's unnerving.)

You jumped back, fearful at the sight of the gray and white figure if a child before you looking all too similar to your sibling and yet different all at once. Your heart pounded so wildly in your chest you feared it may jump out of your throat and run. It was like you were looking at a reanimated corpse. But minus the smell of rotting flesh. Still just as terrifying.