Fix your heart

Preview to my newest story

Lumi

The Finnish word for snow. Beautiful, right? Pure and white, but also cold.
As cold as it can get.

My name.

As my parents gave birth to me it was a beautiful day in winter. One day after the new year and snow had just fallen.

The little bundle in their arms aka me made them the happiest people on earth, according to them.

They wanted to always remember this beautiful day, so they named me Lumi.

The cruel thing is they can't anymore.

My parents died in a car accident two weeks ago and now I'm alone. All alone.

So currently I'm sitting in my aunt's car. She decided to take care of me from now on so I'm moving in with her.

Sadly she lives on the other side of the country so I had to leave everything behind.

Not only did my parents die but my life, which was perfect two weeks ago, died with them.

Silent tears began to stream down my face again and I slowly fell asleep.

A never ending nightmare following me suit.

As I woke up screaming I noticed someone had brought me into a room.

We must have arrived a while ago.

Slightly shaking I stood up and my cold feet hit the floor as I made my way downstairs.

The sight of my aunt cooking greeted me.

We weren't pretty close, I only saw her twice a year, due to her living so far away from my old house, but we always got along. Surely we would get through this together as well.

At least I hope so.

"Hey Lumi! I was just cooking dinner. I hope you like pasta?"

I nodded and took out two plates for us. Not in the mood to talk I just sit down and stare ahead.

How can she act so normal? Her brother died two weeks ago!

...but maybe it's just a facade.

The first day in a new school.

A nightmare for every child having to go through this.

Guilping I looked up at the school building. "Wicomico high school"  Salisbury, Maryland
Big capital letters showed the school name off.

My new life was layed out in front of me.

"Happy birthday Lumi." I mumbled and headed to the entrance. No one even remembered me turning 18 this year.

As my friends heard what happened to my parents they didn't know how to react. I haven't heard from them since the funeral.

I never saw my birthday as something special but now that they were not here anymore to celebrate it with me I felt heartbroken.

If at least my aunt would have remembered it, but who could blame her. Suddenly she had to provide for a teenager, of course she could not do everything at the same time.

I opened one of the big double doors and stepped into the school. Great, now where could I find the head masters office? There were no signs anywhere so I had to find someone to ask.

Or try on my own before using my nonexistent social skills? Sounds like a great idea to me.

Sighing I looked at the signs that were showing visitors into which direction they had to go.