Chapter Four: Moving to Balia

It's been a year since I've been living with Francia. I quickly learned how to navigate this world, and started building my portfolio to help me find a job as an architect. So far I've been doing a lot of freelance design jobs, which have been pretty fulfilling. Plus the savings my father left me have led me to live a life of relative ease. I haven't moved back to the estate though since it's in another city, but I'll likely pay a visit once I find time.

I found out my father was a high rank army officer in this world, similar to his role in the book. He died with honour in the battlefield in a foreign country, which honestly is much better than his previous death. My mother's identity is unknown as it was in my past life. Strangely enough I don't care to find out more about her. I have enough issues to deal with.

Francia and I have also grown to be pretty close. Too close in fact. She refuses to sleep in her own home, and keeps staying over at my apartment. At this point I should start splitting my rent with her, as half of her belongings are strewn about in my living room.

Ah I've also recovered a fair amount of memories, but there are still huge gaps of information that are missing. I've managed to remember my skills from my degree on an intuitive level, but don't have a clear recollection of my college life. I know I had some friends, but for some reason I was lonely and didn't hang out with people much.

Funny, I guess that's just how I've always been regardless of where I am.

There is something that concerns me though, every time I attempt to recall memories from my childhood and teenage years, I get massive headaches and get extremely emotional. It's very strange, as the time period coincides with my life in the novel. I died at the age of 19, and I have a hard time remembering much from before that age in this world. The only things that I've recalled, albeit painfully, are some interactions with my father. Ah my father was kind and gentle to me in this world as well.

I was deep in thought when I heard the familiar sound of my front door opening. A beautiful red haired woman came through holding takeout and ... is that alcohol?

"Are we celebrating? Also clean this place up, your shits everywhere."

Francia set the food and drinks on the coffee table, and plopped down next to me on the couch. She draped her arms over me and shoved her face into the crook of my neck.

"We're celebrating because the apartment complex is finally finished and ready to open for business!"

Ah yes I forgot to mention. Francia may have been disowned by her family, but she's a very talented businesswoman and civil engineer. She managed to work her way up in a construction firm, and in just two years became the director of her department.

"That's really good news Francia, but please let go of me."

Francia pouted, and grabbed a cider from the table. "This also means I'm moving."

"Moving?!"

I hate to admit it, but I've grown attached to this red bombshell. I'm grateful for her help, and she's honestly my first real friend. If I didn't have her I have no idea how I could've possibly survived.

"Oh my, have you fallen for me? You look distraught Momo."

"Shut it."

With a giggle Francia took a sip of her drink, "You're coming with me."

"I am?"

"The company was so happy with my work, that they offered me to head the team at the head office in Balia City. They're also hiring architects for the design team."

"Balia city? That's where my fathers estate is. And wait hiring? Are you telling me I have a chance?"

"Must you be so dense. Ofcourse you have a chance. Your freelance work is amazing but it's time to settle down no? Plus if you come with me I can live rent free at your home."

"Francia!" I threw one of the cushions next to me at her.

She dodged the cushion and chuckled, "I'm joking, I'll rent an apartment for myself."

"No need. You've done a lot for me, and that house is too lonely and large to live in by myself." 

"Really?"

"Yes."

"You really have fallen for me."

"Francia, don't test me."

I ended up applying to the position at Francia's company, and surprisingly got hired as a junior architect for the team. We both wrapped up our leases and within two months headed over to Balia City. We arrived at my fathers estate which was in an affluent looking neighbourhood. Francia is also from Balia city, but her family is quite wealthy and lives in a different part of the city. A wealthier part of the city thankfully.

"Young Miss." a gentle looking middle aged man called out.

"Ah Henry, thank you for taking care of the estate in my absence."

Henry is our family butler, he's been taking care of the estate for the past 5 years ever since my father's death and my departure from the city to go to college. Along with him, there's the housekeeper Eva, and the gardener who comes monthly.

"Let me help you with your luggage, and oh hello young lady." Henry was startled when he saw Francia behind me.

"Ah, this is is my good friend Francia, she'll be staying with us as well. I believe I had notified you over the phone to prepare her room as well?"

I could feel my previous self creep in as I ordered the butler, but I tried to sound not too over bearing... I tried anyways.

"Ah Ofcourse miss, we've prepared Miss Francia's lodgings next to yours as instructed." Henry said all this very excitedly.

Phew, seems he's not too bothered by my behaviour. He's quite capable too, given that the house looks well kept and orderly.

"Let's freshen up quickly. Henry can you let Eva know to prepare dinner?"

"Will do miss" and with that Henry walked away, albeit with a spring in his step. Is he ... that happy to serve us? I chuckled internally at his antics.

How adorable.

"This place is gorgeous."

"Agreed."

Francia and I marvelled at the well decorated home. High walls, with soft cream and beige furnishings. It felt relaxing to be here.

On the wall above the fireplace was a large photo of my father in his uniform holding a younger me.

I could feel tears prick my eyes.

Yes. Home. this is MY home.
-
Soon Francia and I settled into our lives in Balia. We went to work together, came home together. It was fun and freeing. We would go shopping on the weekend and binge movies on Sunday.

Life with Francia is so nice.

Little did we know that our peaceful little haven was about to be destroyed. The catalyst? A simple invitation to a banquet.

God. I wish we never went to that damn banquet.

—————————————————————————————————————-

Next chapter shit is going to hit the fan y'all. Also apologies for the grammar, I hope you've enjoyed this chapter though!