tredici; DANCE WITH YOUR FEARS

Glasses of expensive champagne clinking against each other, the sound accompanied by designer shoes against the marble floor. Laughter lightening up the atmosphere as much as the luminous chandelier hung from the high ceiling, as people in sharp black suits glide across the floor with plates in hand, serving appetizers to the guests dressed in their best clothes.

Your perfect, pearly smile greets every guest as they pour into the grand ballroom. The tailored suit adorning your form was making you feel comfortable, completely at ease with your body and with how others would see you. Although the shirt, low vest, pants, shoes and bow tie hugged you perfectly and were wonderfully eye-catching enough on their own, the centerpiece was the larger, long jacket in a vibrant color, your favorite, that went a little past your knees.

"It's lovely to see you could make it, darling!" You and the guest kissed each other's cheeks in a greeting, accompanying the older lady from the hallway and into the ballroom.

"Oh sweetie, I'm happy I get to see you and the boys again! Who knows how much time I have left, so I'm living life to the fullest!"

"Don't say stuff like that Margaret, you look great! Just don't get too crazy if there's a conga line, and you'll be fine." You said with a laugh, patting her crinkled hands and letting one of the butlers offer her a drink.

"Y/N, there you are! Look how much you've grown, gah, you like just like your mother!" another guest beckoned you over, enveloping you in a warm embrace.

You returned the hug, as he was one of your mom's old classmates that ironically became a close business partner. You didn't mind it so much, making useless small talk with so many people in such a short time. Sure, some wouldn't care if you were to drop dead in the middle of the room, but some were genuine people that you've worked hard to build strong connections with. You were willing to put up with anyone, your elegance and polite nature being your strongest weapon against anyone who dared oppose you.

"You say that every time we see each other."

"Gah! Well it's true! I'm just hoping this turns out better than your last birthday party!"

"Sadly, I don't have a say in whether someone attempts to assassinate me or not, but I can assure you, everything will be taken care of this time."

He laughed as you picked up a glass of champagne from a passing server and gave it to him, which he gladly accepted as you made your way across the ballroom, chatting up with a few other guests along the way.

You'd occasionally glance to the security people sitting in the darker parts of the room, or looking over from the floor above. They'd give a nod and you immediately knew everything was alright.

A large hand lightly patted the top of your head, something Julien always does to get your attention. He could just walk around and stand in front of you, but no, obviously, it's easier to go into cardiac arrest for two seconds every time he surprises you by sneaking up from behind.

'Your Italian stripper friends said they're coming down soon. They're taking an awful long time getting ready.' The long sleeves of his loose black dress swung around gracefully as he signed. 'Did you seriously get them all fancy versions of their usual outfits?'

"It's a nice gift, they said they loved them! And why are you complaining? Jealous of the boob windows?" You teased, looking at the high-neck of his dress. His style was incredibly classic and elegant.

He gave you a blank glare, playfully pushing your shoulder and leaving to attend whatever business he had.

On cue, the men in question came walking down the stairs, each at their own pace. Giorno was the fastest one, his sparkling black suit with green and golden accents, with the rare occasion of his hair being free from the usual braid making him look completely ethereal. Behind him, Mista, Narancia and Fugo were confidentiality making their way down, although it looked more like the first two dragging the latter alongside them.