Chapter Eight: Setting Up a Plan

Sunday seemed to be a peaceful time for Chan Lee, she woke up with no troubles. She even thought that the sight of Xue and Han Jing passed out over a board game was actually cute. Her hands immediately reached for her phone to check the time. It was nine in the morning this time, she bit back a yawn and put it away.

...he didn't reply at all since last night.

Not that it mattered.

Getting up from her bed, she drew back the curtains to let some sunlight in. Chan Lee glanced back at their resting figures. Maybe she could cook for them?

It would be a nice surprise...

Rubbing her face tiredly, she inwardly sighed. Who was she kidding? It didn't matter that they looked so peaceful in their sleep or something, they were here for their own reasons.

Xue, the Moon Rabbit doesn't know how to get back to the moon.

Han Jing on the other hand... she wasn't too sure about it really. Was he here to bug the bunny boy about cultivation or something? He was also acting like she was under his protection or something. It was really weird.

She really didn't need to take care of them, if they had a chance to leave—they'd obviously take it.

But she still soon found herself inside the apartment's shared kitchen. Holding up a measuring cup, she poured the batter over the pan.

"Please don't get burned..." She muttered to herself. The stove was on low heat, she could do this!

Pancakes. They were the easiest ones to prepare.

"Chan Lee? Fancy seeing you here."

She bolted up and spun around, "M-madam Dongxia! A pleasant surprise!" She was going to have a heart attack with all these people surprising her so often nowadays.

"Making pancakes, I see." The older lady got herself a bag of cat food from the pantry. "You know, I was so surprised when I saw Han Jing that day."

"A-ah, yeah, thanks for the steamed buns yesterday." She coughed, wanting that memory to pass away already.

"It's not a problem, dear." The older lady sighed and prepared her cat's food. "I'm still shocked, but maybe being with you will help him pick up the slack?"

"W-what? He didn't clear things up!?" She gawked at her.

"Do I smell something burning?" Madam Dongxia sniffed. "You kids these days don't know how to cook, I'll talk with you some other time. Momma's gonna feed her Whiskers."

Needless to say, it wasn't as peaceful as she had imagined her Sunday to be. "They're kinda on the toasted side eh?" Han Jing complained as he poked the tower of pancakes in front of him.

...she had also failed the other attempts to cook them properly. Chan Lee frowned at the man in front of him. "Just eat it."

"Yeah, yeah—can't let food go to waste." Han Jing answered with a mouthful.

"I think it tastes pretty good." Xue spoke up.

"Please, your unrefined tongue thinks it's good." Han Jing shook his head. "Imagine eating leafy vegetables for a good portion of your life? Ugh, so bland."

"Well, it's a step towards being a cultivator who didn't eat or drink anything." Xue chuckled.

"Argh, don't bring that up." Han Jing waved him off. "I'm sure a cultivator would eat a magical beast turtle's egg yolks or something to raise their qi."

Chan Lee munched her pancakes. "I still find it hard to believe that these so-called cultivators actually existed, wouldn't they be more well-known if people who could fly and topple mountains really existed?" They weren't that burnt to her!