Chapter Twelve: A Lousy Friend

For the most part, she had been successful with her choice of avoiding Hua Zhao. He also seemed to have given up and hadn't approached her at all for the entire day.

"Well, that was good..." She mumbled to herself as she took her seat in the front row.

It seemed like everybody around her was conversing with one another, especially with their professor running late.

But she was alright.

Chan Lee really didn't need somebody befriending her out of pity. Now that she assessed things today, she had Mei to be her friend.

That was good.

It was a blessing.

After the morning run, they had a meal together at the cafeteria and chatted about a variety of things. It was different, far different from hanging out with Xue or Han Jing. She felt her lips twitch into a smile. She had appreciated Mei's presence until now—

A certain individual plopped down beside her without a word. Not a single query of whether or not the seat was taken—nobody did—just sitting down.

She recognized him immediately. "A-ah, it's you." She blurted out, it was the man she had bumped into during the jog earlier.

The man turned to her with a brow raised but nodded, "Indeed." He then looked away and said nothing else.

She stared at him unsurely. 'Why are you sitting with me? There are other seats around the other rows?' She wanted to ask why...but she didn't want to be seen as presumptuous that he sat here because of her. If you looked at things right now, it was clear that he didn't want to talk to her.

But what if he was just shy? "Are you a transferee?" She asked.

"Hmm..." He let her question hang in the air for a couple of moments. "Yes, I am."

"That's nice," Chan Lee smiled. "That's why I haven't seen you before." Despite the number of students in the university, someone like him would have clearly stood out. Even right now, she could feel the gaze of onlookers on his back.

"Well I have..." His low voice brought her attention back to him. "Seen you."

She blinked. "W-what?"

"At the morning jog earlier, I've seen you." He chuckled.

Chan Lee managed a smile, "Right." He joked quite lamely, it was a bit of a letdown from what she assumed to be a cold, handsome man. Now he appeared to be a bit of a quiet but odd man. But people had their eccentricities.

"An interesting caricature by the way."

"Excuse me?"

He motioned to her neck. Chan Lee reached for her pendant, touching the cold stone. "O-oh this, well it's a trinket that somebody got me from the market. So it isn't special or anything, but I like it."

Yes she really did like it. Even though the person who had given it to her made her feel uneasy... it was a nice gift. And it was a waste to not use it nor was she someone who'd throw it away.

"I see."

He didn't say anything else, and for the first time in what seemed to be forever. She was the one who was more eager to continue this conversation. "I'm Chan Lee by the way, who are you?"

"Call me Kit."

"Are you a foreigner by some chance?" She continued in what now felt to be a barrage of questions on a man who probably preferred that she stayed silent.