My Favorite R&B/Pop Albums of 2020!

Hey Y'all!

It's been a couple of months since my last update on this book but I am back for the holiday season (again)! I will be sharing my Top 4 R&B/Pop Albums that have been released in 2020 as well as some honorable mentions!

I will be sharing the name of artist, album title, cover, release date, label, number of tracks, and a brief takeaway of my thoughts on the album along with my favorite tracks! I will also give a star rating out of five! ** This rating may change over time**

These will be in chronological order of when each album was released in the year.
————————-

Kiana LedéKiKiReleased: April 3, 2020Label: Republic Number of Tracks: 17

Kiana Ledé
KiKi
Released: April 3, 2020
Label: Republic
Number of Tracks: 17

This is the debut album for 23-year-old Arizona native Kiana Ledé. Released on her birthday, the album is a standout R&B project. Executive produced by Rice N' Peas (Mike Brown), it features sultry and smooth vocals and explosive lyrics throughout upbeat dance jams and emotional ballads. I love ballads and I can honestly say that she delivered a few classic 90s early 2000s styled ones here. The project did modestly well on the charts, debuting at #30 on the Billboard 200 and #7 on the Billboard Top R&B Albums Chart. This was a strong debut project for Ledé and I am sure that she has plenty more where that came from.

Stand-out Tracks: Crazy., Second Chances., Plenty More., Honest., Attention.

Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️3/4
———————————-

Mariah CareyThe RaritiesReleased: October 2, 2020Label: Columbia/ LegacyNumber of Tracks: 15 (Disc 1)

Mariah Carey
The Rarities
Released: October 2, 2020
Label: Columbia/ Legacy
Number of Tracks: 15 (Disc 1)

This is the eighth compilation album by singer-songwriter and producer Mariah Carey. It was a grand piece in the legendary artists' #MC30 campaign that celebrated the 30th anniversary of her self-titled debut album released in 1990. This  album comprised of unreleased songs recorded throughout her career that were never released as official singles or released on albums. Each song includes the year it was recorded and gives you the opportunity to see how Mariah's musicality evolved over the years. Despite all the hardships she's faced in her life growing up and even in her adulthood she has prevailed and that shows strength to her faith, character, and legacy. She is a icon. She is Mariah Carey and she truly saved the day.

Stand-out Tracks: Here We Go Around Again (1990), Can You Hear Me (1991), Do You Think of Me (1993),Slipping Away (1996), Out Here On My Own (2000)

Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
———————————-

Queen Naija missunderstoodReleased: October 30, 2020Label: CapitolNumber of Tracks: 18

Queen Naija
missunderstood
Released: October 30, 2020
Label: Capitol
Number of Tracks: 18

missunderstood is the debut album of 25-year-old Michigan native Queen Naija. It is the follow up of her 2018 Gold-certified self-titled debut EP that introduced her to the music world. The album would take two years finally release due to many delays, but the wait was worth it. The young star put her soul into the project with personal lyrics and relatable messages. For some reason Naija has this weird hate train against her with false claims being made about her, but with this project she proved that you cannot count her out. It debuted at #9 on the Billboard 200 and #1 on the Billboard Top R&B Albums Chart which is excellent for a debut album, and if one things for certain this rising R&B queen is not slowing down anytime soon. She simply has too much to say.

Stand-out Tracks: Too Much To Say, I'm Her, Lie to Me, Pretend, Trial and Error

Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
————————————-

Ariana GrandePositions Released: October 30, 2020Label: RepublicNumber of Tracks: 14

Ariana Grande
Positions
Released: October 30, 2020
Label: Republic
Number of Tracks: 14

Ok I have a confession... I may or may not have listened to this album before it's official release. Nonetheless, I still gave it another listen afterwards and I can say I throughly enjoyed it. This is the sixth studio album by this main Pop girl and ironically she expands on the R&B and Trap influences that she's been experimenting with since 2018's Sweetner but this album is definitely more R&B flavored and it took me awhile to even realize as I was denying it. It obviously still went #1 on the Billboard 200 despite the leak which shows that Grande is still at her commercial peak. It's not my favorite album from the 27-year-old superstar (that would be thank u, next) but overall I have multiple favorites and she certainly gives us more of her sexual pov.

Stand-out Tracks: pov, my hair, off the table, nasty, 34+35

Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️3/4

Honorable Mentions: These are a few projects that I really enjoyed and deserve recognition. I'll just name the album, artist, and my top track on the project.

B7
Brandy
Favorite Track (s): Borderline, No Tomorrow

It Was Good Until It Wasn't
Kehlani
Favorite Track: Toxic

good to know
JoJo
Favorite Track: Pedialyte

Chilombo
Jhené Aiko
Favorite Track: Speak

Fuck The World
Brent Faiyaz
Favorite Track: Rehab (Winter In Paris)

TAKE TIME (EP)
Giveon
Favorite Track: THE BEACH

_____________________

What were some of your favorite projects released this year? I will do throwback album spotlights soon so stay tuned!

🤴🏾 ♏️