chapter twenty-one

     They managed to get through most of the leads as the moon began to get higher in the sky. They were both getting more and more exhausted as the night went on and as they continued to talk to more and more secretaries. Eventually, there was a map where each suspect had gone. When and where to, what times they left and came back. Even what they had for lunch and breakfast in some cases. They knew who they were without even having to meet them. It was a strange thing to be able to do. Know everything about somebody without ever interacting with them but that was the galaxy they lived in.

     But those thoughts eventually died and as 3am rolled around, Obi-Wan was getting much more exhausted. He was used to staying up till now but his eyes were drooping and he was ready to drop off. Phoenix was already half asleep, her datapad on the bedside table with her face mushed into the pillow. Her blonde hair swept up into a low ponytail to keep it out of her ace.

     "I'm going to go back to my room," He muttered, half-asleep as he shuffled away from her on the bed. Phoenix grumbled at his words and the movements and grabbed his hand, stopping him from leaving. She then shuffled closer and in her sleepy state, cuddled up to him. Obi-Wan sighed and thought for a moment before giving in to his own desires. He knew that he would have to eventually and cuddling as they slept wasn't going to change anything, surely.

     So he gave in and slid under her covers, his arms wrapped around her as he snuggled closer. Her face moving to bury underneath his chin. Her eyes falling closed as she became sleepy. He was so warm against her and she loved it. She didn't know why he was so warm but it made the darkness of sleep so much more appealing. It was merely a few moments before she had fallen asleep in his arms. Obi-Wan shortly joining her as his eyes fell closed too.

     The night passed quickly but for Phoenix, it felt like she snapped awake not a few minutes after she fell asleep. Though in reality it had been at least four or five hours. When she opened her eyes, she found Obi-Wan cuddled up to her. The sleepy lopsided smile appearing on her lips as she nuzzled her face into his neck again. A soft groan escaping his lips at her movement. It made her chuckle softly against his skin before she just tried to stay as still as she could.

     She didn't know why they were sleeping like this. The last hour of being awake was just one hazy memory to her and she had no idea what had happened. She had a vague memory of him saying he would leave but clearly he hadn't. He was lying across from her right now. But she wasn't going to question it. She got to cuddle the man she was in love with and that was enough for her. Maybe it was a bad idea but she decided to even press a few soft kisses to his neck. Just short pecks that wouldn't mean anything if they didn't want it to. But these kisses seemed to bring Obi-Wan back to reality. His eyes fluttering open as he groaned softly. Clearly, he did not want to wake up. Phoenix couldn't help but smile at him.

     "Morning," She said softly as she looked up at him. Her head moved to rest on the pillow, her hand staying wrapped around his waist. Her smile only growing as his eyes opened to properly look at her. The smile widening on his lips as he realised what was happening.