Chapter 2: Exploration and Surprises

The description of the Dawn Treader is a mix of the one seen in the movie and the one in the book. It's hard to determine what the interior of the ship looked like and the location of the rooms based solely on the movie. So I found out where things were located based on the books and took some descriptions from there as well. There are also some embellishments on my part based on what little I know about ships/boats.

᯽᯽᯽᯽᯽᯽᯽᯽᯽᯽᯽᯽᯽᯽᯽

As it was her first time aboard the ship, Ana decided to explore the Dawn Treader before figuring out her sleeping arrangements. It was the finest ship in the navy and was crafted in a way to resemble a dragon. The bow of the ship was a dragon's head with stairs along the neck and a spot in the dragon's mouth where a lookout could hide. Its head and neck were green with a golden chest plate and mask around the eyes. The head was made from applewood, along with other carvings and planks along the ship. There were also reins carved into the dragon and painted red.
Stretched along the beginnings of the port and starboard sides were the dragon's green wings. Just below the dragon's was the focsle, a small platform just above the main deck. Beneath it, were doors that lead to the sleeping quarters for the crew. The galley could be found just beyond those rooms. They also provided access to the armory. At the base of the focsle was the ship's bell that was supported by two carved fauns.

There was a large mast in the center of the ship that held a large, beautiful, dark purple sail. Two golden lions were stitched into the center of the sail. There was a small, golden circle that outlined a crown, separating the two lions. The lookout tower was located right next to the main mast, with rope ladders on either side of the ship. Located just below these was the hatch which led to the lower deck. Here they stored their food and other necessary supplies. It also provided access to the oar room, which were normally only used when fleeing or if there was no wind. The oar room was built using Narnian oak trees, which had rare protective qualities.

The rest of the ship was made of red and black wood. The stern of the ship was carved into the dragon's tail, which looped around itself. A lantern had been attached to the end of it to allow others to see their ship at night.

A large wheel for steering could be found on the poop deck. It was supported by two carved fish that held a golden carving of the Great Lion. At the base of the poop deck, Ana opened the door on the main deck which allowed access to the stern cabins. Caspian's cabin was located at the back of the ship and was the largest room. The Stateroom almost alway was.

Ana's cabin was located on the port side of the stern. It was smaller than Caspian's but was just as grand. There was a bed in one corner with a royal blue bedspread. There were curtains tied back on the bedposts that matched the bedspread, with golden trim. On the other side of the room were a pair of cabinets with carvings of Narnia creatures. Ana assumed they were meant to be used as a wardrobe. They were three large windows that allowed a lot of light into the room, making it seem bright and spacious. There was also a table and some chairs.

The cabins in the stern were the only ones on the Dawn Treader to have actual beds built into the rooms. The rest only had hanging beds and were meant to be shared among the crew. The cabins on the stern of the ship were meant as single rooms. Ana felt a little embarrassed to have such grand quarters in comparison to the others. Although she didn't know why as her room in the castle was even nicer.

After she managed to settle in, someone knocked on her door. Ana assumed it to be Caspian as he was the only one aboard likely to disturb her. She opened the door and wasn't surprised to see him on the other side. Allowing him entrance, he scanned the room before turning to her.