Chapter 20: Battling the Great Serpent

First time squeezing (most of) the battle into one chapter. Enjoy!

᯽᯽᯽᯽᯽᯽᯽᯽᯽᯽᯽᯽᯽᯽᯽

The creature screeched and Ana knew it was getting closer. She looked behind them and noted it kept diving in and out of the water, which helped it gain momentum. It was quickly gaining on them and she knew they couldn't outrun this sea creature.

Before anyone knew it, the serpent was upon them. It leaped out of the water and flung its body across the deck. It stretched from port to starboard, coiling itself around the ship twice as if trying to break the ship in two. Ana realized, belatedly, that it probably was. The large body made it difficult for the crew to move and get around. Some had been trapped under the serpent's body.

Ana took the opportunity to try and shoot the beast. While her arrows did manage to pierce its hide, it had very little effect. The creature merely screeched and wrapped itself tighter, ripping planks from the sides of the ship. The sides of the ship started to crack. Trying to come up with a different tactic, Ana noticed Lucy dragged Gael inside the stern of the ship. She was taking her someplace safe, away from the battle. But in reality, if the serpent destroyed the ship, there was no safe place.

Ana hurried up the steps to join Caspian. The Captain was otherwise occupied so he was stirring the ship to keep it heading on a straight path. The serpent reared its head, looking for a victim while its body remained wrapped around the Dawn Treader.

"Ed! Ed! Caspian shouted, trying to get Edmund's attention. "We ram the serpent. Smash him on the rocks."
"Steer her to port!" Edmund replied. "I'll keep it on the prow!" He made his way towards the bow of the ship. The serpent lunged at him but missed and caught another sailor instead.

Lucy returned, armed with her sister's weapons. Gael was nowhere to be seen and Ana knew that was for the better. The Valiant Queen joined her at the top of the steps and both drew arrows from their quivers. Caspian continued to steer as Edmund made his way up the steps leading to the dragon's head. He disappeared inside the mouth and they could no longer see him. But they saw the light from his torch as he pointed it at the sea serpent's face. This caught the creature's attention and it moved towards the bow of the ship. Ana could hear Edmund taunting the creature before it dove for the head.

"No!" both girls cried out.
"Edmund!" Caspian shouted, letting go of the wheel.

Fortunately, the serpent only received a mouthful of wood. The dragon head of the ship was destroyed, but Edmund was safely tucked inside. The creature spat out the wood as he made his way on top of the head. He continued shining his light in its face and taunting the creature. Ana exchanged a glance with Lucy and both nocked their arrows. Steadying themselves from the violent rocking of the ship, they aimed their weapons. The familiar 'twang' of arrows being released from their bows could barely be heard over the noise. Ana's arrow hit the creature in its eye and the sea serpent hissed. She could only assume Lucy's hit its mark as well.

"Brace yourselves!" Caspian shouted above the roar. The ship collided with the rock and the serpent screeched.

Lucy fell into the stairs' railing and gripped it tightly to keep from being flung over it. Ana didn't have anything to hold onto. As such, she tumbled down the stairs. Her bow fell out of her hands and skidded across the deck. It was accidentally kicked by several of the men and soon it was lost among the fray. She picked herself up just as Caspian reached the bottom of the stairs.

"Are you alright?" he asked, placing his hands on her shoulder. She sent him a weak smile. Everything hurt but she didn't think anything was broken.
"I'm fine," she told him instead. He frowned and gave her a cursory examination. After confirming she wasn't bleeding or had any obvious injuries, he rushed away.