Chapter 18: Dark Island

Before the sun started to rise, they all headed back to the Dawn Treader. Then they sail for Dark Island, a place that made nightmares come true. Ana was leery about what they may face, but she wasn't afraid. She was done with that. Aslan was on their side so she had nothing to fear.

But as they drew closer, the darkness grew. They had to sail around Ramandu's Island in order to reach their destination. Ana didn't have to see the island to feel the pull of darkness. She wondered if any of the others felt something. Maybe not as strongly as she did, but enough to know something was wrong. The crew had been silent and Ana thought they seemed a bit on edge as well—not that she blamed them.

She tried to shake off the feeling and the uneasiness of the phoenix. It wouldn't do any good to let her out now when there was no real threat. Ana suspected it would only cease to upset the crew. Not that it helped much. Once the island came into view, everyone seemed very unsettled.

"So... what do you think is in there?" Tavros pondered aloud.
"Our worst nightmares," Edmund answered.
"Our darkest wishes," Caspian added. Ana had to roll her eyes at the fact that neither King did anything to assuage the nervous first mate.
"Pure evil," the Captain said, glancing over his shoulder from the wheel to the two. He turned his head towards the Minotaur. "Tavros, unlock the armory."
"My lord." Tavros obeyed and began heading towards the steps.
"Archers!" Drinian ordered. "Prepare yourselves!"
"Light the lanterns!" Tavros commanded, climbing down the steps and heading to the armory.

Caspian turned to look at Ana and the two royals. "Let's get ready," he suggested. He cast one last concerned glance at Ana before heading inside the stern.

Edmund was close behind him, sending the girls only a cursory glance. Lucy followed her brother inside while Ana lingered for a moment. She needed a moment to take in the fresh air before going inside. Once they were inside the mist surrounding the island, she doubted they would have a moment of peace. So she wanted to take it in while she still could. It also helped to settle the uneasiness in her stomach.

Shortly afterwards, Ana headed into her cabin. She approached one of the chests and opened it. Hesitating for only a moment, she pulled her armor from the chest. She hadn't needed to wear it since the peace treaty, but she had brought it along just in case. Caspian had done so as well. But neither wanted to wear it unless they had to.

Shaky hands unbuckled the clasps and slid the pieces into place. She almost gave up on her arm guard entirely when she couldn't get it secured into place. Instead, Ana picked up her quiver, a few daggers, and the arm guard before heading to the Stateroom. She knew Lucy was preparing there and thought the company might help settle her nerves. Ana knew it wasn't normal for her to display her emotions so openly.

She knocked and Lucy bade her entrance. The Valiant Queen stood in front of the mirror, checking that she had everything she needed. Gael was sitting on the bed in the corner watching her. Both flicked their attention to Ana when she entered. Lucy sent her a soft smile while Gael let out a little gasp.

"When I grow up," Gael said softly, "I want to be just like you." Ana wasn't sure who the girl was referring to but sent her a small smile.
Lucy stopped fiddling with her belt and turned to Gael. She approached the bed and sat down beside her. "When you grow up..." she advised, wrapping one arm around her, "you should be just like you." Lucy comfortingly rubbed Gael's arm and the girl leaned into her.
"There's no one else like you," Ana added with a soft smile.

Even though it was a bittersweet time, she couldn't keep a smile off her face. The moment reminded Ana of similar scenes long ago. When Lucy was being comforted by one of her siblings or even Ana. Now Lucy was looking out for the young girl. Protecting her, just like her siblings always did for her. Still did, in fact. The two had created a special bond. Ana wasn't sure who would be more distraught when they had to say goodbye.