Chapter 11: Coriakin Talks About Dark Island

"W-what do you mean?" Lucy asked, a little hesitant.
The man chuckled. "My spellbook... The only way the spells work is if they're read by myself or a young girl."
"They said they couldn't read..." Ana muttered.
"That is true," the man said, obviously hearing her. "But I couldn't let just anyone reverse the spell. Very few young girls come this way."
"They tried to kidnap us! And threatened our friends!" Lucy contended.
The man frowned a little. "Dufflepuds are mostly harmless creatures. They're very full of themselves and rather foolish. They didn't mean any harm. They only wished to undo the spell. They're under my protection and unfortunately disapprove of some of the decisions I've made on their behalf."

Ana and Lucy stared at each other for a moment before looking back at the man. His explanation seemed to align with what Ana thought of the creatures: they weren't particularly dangerous. But they still didn't know who this man was. She assumed he was who the creatures—Dufflepuds, she reminded herself—referred to as the Oppressor. However, the man didn't seem very dangerous, threatening, or even oppressive. Her magic would normally be on edge if that was the case but Phoenix was calm.

As if reading their thoughts, he spoke again. "My apologies," the man said. "Please allow me to introduce myself. I'm Coriakin. This is my Island, home to only myself and the Duffers."
"I'm Lucy," she introduced and gestured to Ana. "This is Ana."
"Your Majesty. Lady Ana." Coriakin bowed to both of them. They exchanged another look, wondering how he knew who they were. "Now, I know you have questions but I think it is best if we find your friends. They believe you to be missing, no?"

Lucy nodded and the three made their way outside. Ana nearly chuckled at the sight before them. The crew of the Dawn Treader were collecting their weapons. She assumed they had been disarmed by the previously invisible creatures. Now, dwarf-like creatures stood in their place. They only had one foot and supported each other, making them appear taller than they were—at least when they were invisible. In their hands were spears and clubs, weapons that weren't particularly good for anything. Ana smiled a little as she realized that her assumption about them pretending to be dangerous was true.

When the Dufflepuds saw Coriakin emerge from the mansion, they almost panicked. Shouts of 'the oppressor' could be heard as they backed away. The others turned to see what had frightened them. A look of relief flashed across the faces of Edmund and Caspian. Both ladies knew the Kings had been worried about them.

"Lucy..." Edmund said, relieved.
"Your Majesties," the magician greeted with a bow to the two Kings.
"This is Coriakin," Lucy introduced. "It's his Island." Caspian and Edmund both bowed in return, out of respect.
"That's what he thinks!" the Chief of the Duffers shouted. Ana could tell by his voice that he had been the one giving orders earlier. "You have wronged us, Magician!"
"I have not wronged you," Coriakin answered, walking past the Kings to speak to them directly. The rest of the creatures began to back away even more. "I made you invisible for your own protection."
"Protection? That's oppressive!" one accused.
"Oppressor!" shouted another, all still backpedaling as the magician kept walking forward.
"I have not oppressed you," Coriakin argued.
"But you could've!" the Chief protested. "If you wanted to!"
"Begone!" he ordered, throwing something at them. They screamed in fear, saying it was a spell, and hopped away.
"What was that?" Lucy asked.
"Lint," the man answered, heading back towards the mansion as Ana realized it was much too large to be described as a 'house.' "But don't tell them."
"What were those things?" Eustace asked distastefully.

Everyone looked at him as if he was the only one who didn't know. But Ana knew most of the crew didn't know what they were either. It was the way he had asked rather than what that caused everyone to stare.

"Dufflepuds," Coriakin supplied.
"Right, of course," Eustace replied. "Silly me."

"Come," the magician said, gesturing to the royals. "I've been expecting you."