Chapter 4: Ana's Troubles Begin

After explaining everything they knew to Edmund and Lucy, the four wandered back out onto the main deck. The moment they stepped outside, Ana heard singing. It was quiet but the wind had carried it to her. Curious, she went in search of the sound and only vaguely realized that Lucy was following her. She doubted anyone else heard the song just yet so it was likely Lucy wanted to talk.

As she approached the bow of the ship, Lucy caught up to her.
"You look good," she said quietly.
"I am," Ana replied, frowning a bit at her statement.
"So things are better for you?" Lucy asked and Ana was still confused.
"I mean... I suppose." Lucy hummed and Ana stopped walking. Leaning against the rail, she turned to face the Valiant Queen. "I don't know quite what you are getting at, Lucy. But it seems to me you're trying to ask something."
"No," Lucy answered. "You just seem in happier spirits since we left you."
"I kept my promise. I didn't put my walls back up and shut everyone out."
"I'm glad. And Caspian...?"
Ana furrowed her brows. "He's fine... As far as I know anyway. It's not like he tells me everything."

She hummed again and Ana waited for her to speak. Lucy was keener than many gave her credit for. So she could tell there was something on the young Queen's mind that she wasn't saying. As the silence stretched, Ana began to wonder if Lucy ever would.

"I just thought..." Lucy began suddenly, "I thought... Oh, never mind. It's silly."
"What is?" Ana asked. It was then that she heard singing again and this time Lucy heard it too.

Where sky and water meet
Where the waves grow ever sweet...

"What's that?" Lucy asked, changing the subject.
Ana pretended not to notice. "I believe Reepicheep is singing,"
"What about?"
"You'd have to ask him." She pointed to the steps leading up the dragon's neck. "Be careful up there."

Lucy smiled at her and nodded before climbing the stairs. Ana moved so she was at the bottom of them, but did not interrupt. She could hear Reepicheep singing just fine down below but was curious as to what it was about as well. This wasn't the first time she thought she heard the Mouse singing. Ana wasn't planning on eavesdropping, but she was curious and knew she might receive some answers.

"Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow ever sweet
Doubt not, you Reepicheep.
To find all that you seek
There is the utter East
Doubt not—"
"That's pretty," Lucy chimed, cutting off his song.
Reepicheep gasped, startled. "Oh! Thank you. A dryad sang it to me when I was just a mouseling. I can't divine the meaning, but...uh, I've never forgotten the words."
There was a pause. Then, "What do you think is past the Lone Islands, Reep?"
"Well, I've been told the furthest east one can sail is to the End of the World," Reepicheep answered. "Aslan's Country."
"Do you really believe there's such a place?"
"We have nothing, if not belief."
Lucy's voice became softer and more serious. "Do you think you can actually sail there?"
"Well, there is only one way of finding that out. I can only hope I will one day earn the right to see it." Reepicheep chuckled softly, almost as if he was embarrassed by his admission. "Your Majesty."

The soft pattering of his paws could barely be heard over the noises on the ship as he climbed down. Ana moved away from the steps before Reepicheep reached the bottom. She didn't pretend that she hadn't been eavesdropping, but she wanted to make it less obvious that she was. Reepicheep only smiled at her and scampered off. He knew exactly what she had been doing.

Lucy descended a while later and walked over to the side of the ship, ignoring Ana. She found a place to sit on top of some barrels and was offered a cup of water from one of the sailors. Lucy drank it slowly, staring off into the water as if contemplating something. Ana smiled softly and made to join her when she heard Caspian approach from behind. She rolled her eyes, ready to call him out for attempting to scare her. Instead, he clasped a hand on her shoulder and whirled her around to face him.