Chapter 3: Not Alone

"So, last night..." Simone started.

 "Was the start of something special," Bex replied.  "Anyways, since you will be staying here a while, do you want to tell me your coming out story?  Then afterwards, we will set you up here."

 "Sure.  So I realised that I liked girls when I was eight, but I felt really uneasy about my body.  It just felt like it didn't fit me.  When I was 12, I realised that people around me were starting to feel drawn to others bodies, but I didn't feel it, and I thought 'Oh, I'm an ace then'.  Around the same time, my body dysphoria got worse and I knew I was trans.  So, when I was 14 and everyone was curious about my life, I started to come out to everyone at school, but nobody accepted me.  I lost all my friends and started to suffer from depression.  I ended up dropping out of school a month ago since I could no longer cope.  My parents found out I was queer and kicked me out for being a sinner.  Then I came here.  How about you?"

 "Wow.  That must have been hard.  I realised that I was bi when I was nine since I thought that both girls and guys were hot.  I told everyone at school when I was twelve, and all my friends supported me.  My parents found out when I was sixteen, and kicked me out.  Like you, I came here and found my people."

 Bex Continued.  "Do you remember Ange, who you met yesterday?  Well, Angela is a polyamorous heteroromantic ace.  Like you, she grew up in a catholic family."

 Bex grabbed Simone by the hand and pulled her to the other end of Martin Place.  She stopped when she saw two girls, whom she knew, talking to each other.  

 "Hey you two," Bex said to them, "This is my friend Simone.  She just came here from Parramatta when her family kicked her out for being transgender.  Do you want to introduce yourself to her?"

 "Sure," Said the brunette, flicking her eyes away, "My name is Quinn, I am an 18-year-old butch lesbian, seeking a femme girlfriend.  I had the choice of leaving home or going through conversion therapy when I was sixteen, since my strict baptist parents didn't approve of gay people.  I have been living on this street since."

 "Back off," Bex jokingly said, "She's mine!"

 The shy ginger started talking.  "I'm Barbara and I'm 16.  My parents were super supportive of my pan identity, but they died when I was 15.  I was forced to live with my horrible widowed aunt.  I ran away as soon as I got the chance and came here.  Now, in my free time, I organise climate strikes."

 "Where are you two off to today?" Asked Quinn.

 "I am showing her what every homeless person on our street needs to know.  Starting with the location of the state library."

 Quinn turned to Simone and told her this: "You are very welcome on this street.  Everyone is.  We hope your situation changes for the better, but until then, you are welcome to join me on a work day."

 Simone whispered into Rebecca's ear.  "Can you explain how work days work here?"  In response, Bex squeezed her hand and yelled goodbye to the group and dragged her off back the way they came.

 "Those two are some of my best friends here.  Everyone who lives on the street is required to earn some income to help pay their food and to go into the group shelter fund.  Some people busk, some hire themselves out, others get low paid part-time jobs.  It is really up to you."

 The two girls were standing outside a large building.  "This is the state library.  We report here to fill up water bottles, charge phones and do things like that at least bi-daily.  I need to start my days work now.  Care to join me?  I am planning on either singing or performing scenes from funny girl on repeat."

 "Oh my goodness!  I love that musical.  Do you want to play Fanny and I shall play Nicky?"

 To which she responded, "Scene 14.  Yes, Mr Arnstein.  Whatever you say."

 "Just remember that."

"I better go."

"I love you, and I'll be back."

Bex pulled Simone into a kiss and whispered, "I love you."

Simone ran off, back around the corner to her position on Martin Place.