Chapter 5: Political

It was a cold June morning, and the sun was just rising over Martin Place.  Angela snuck out of her sleeping bag and went over to the fountain to meet Joe.  She got down on one knee and hushed them so she could speak.

 "Joe Arcand, It has been a pleasure knowing you for so long.  Will you marry me in a friends with tax benefits marriage?"

Joe, quite shocked by the proposal, assured her with a yes.  The two of them sat down and started to plan for their registry office wedding.  As the clock tower chimed 9 am, Ange said her goodbye's and left for the library.

 "They said yes!"  She screamed a little too loudly.  She was hushed by the librarians for this.  "We are marrying next week at the registry office, following my 18th birthday.  You are invited to attend as my witness."

"We are so coming." Said Bex.  "I have drafted this letter.  What do you think of it?"

"What about you add 'and a government contribution towards fees' to asking for venue use.  And put in that somewhere that we will run it once opened."

"I think that's good."  Said Barbara.

"How did your date go, Barbs?"  Inquired Bex.

"It was great.  However, I went on another one later in the day which I also enjoyed with someone else.  I am meeting the first one again in an hour to help me decide."

"That's nice.  How about you Quinn, any lady in your life?"

"No.  I am thinking of going to the Stonewall Hotel or Sappho books if I feel like an outing."  Sighed Quinn.

"Good Luck to you then."

After an awkward silence, Barbara slipped out the door.

 "Hi Avery,"  She said to her date at the cafe, before she dropped her glass in shock.  Avery was, in fact, gender fluid and the same person she went out with in the afternoon.  She wondered how she did not realise it.

 "Is everything okay?"  Avery asked.  

"My hand just got a horrible cramp."  She lied.

 Barbara continued off from where their conversation finished the date before.  After the date ended, Avery walked Barbara back to her place on the street.  

 "Thank you for the wonderful time," Avery said, "I hope we can do this again."

 "Yes, we must," Barbara replied.

 She snuggled up in her blankets thinking warmly about her next date with Avery.