Chapter 10: Legacy

Bex and Simone were walking down Martin Place with their arms linked.  

 "Remember when we used to live there,"  Bex said.

"Honey, that was only a year ago."  Simone reminded her.

It was Christmas time in the city, and lights decked the town.  Simone and Bex were out shopping for Christmas gifts for children that come to the shelter over the holidays.  

 When they returned back, Joe was just putting the final touches in the rooms.  Barbara was hanging the grand opening flags outside.  A large crowd was gathered around the outside for the grand opening.

"Residents of Sydney," Bex Started, " A mere year ago, I was living on Martin Place because I was kicked out of home for being bisexual.  I met this beautiful girl there, who was kicked out of her home for being transgender, and I started dating her.  We decided we wanted to help other LGBTQIA+ youth, so when we got engaged we purchased a lotto ticket.  Against all odds, we won, so we wanted to use the money to start this homeless shelter for queer youth who are kicked out of home."

Simone continued, "It is with great pleasure, that we can say that we have done just that.  In front of you is an old building which we have renovated to be a queer youth homeless shelter.  Any youth who are kicked out of home for their identity can come here, no questions asked.  Every child in our care will receive a shared room and will be cared for and given an allowance until they are 18 or can move out of here safely.  We invite you to come in and look around for a donation towards running the shelter.  Thank you, kind people!"

 Bex and Simone walked towards the ribbon hanging and cut it together.  A cheer erupted from the street when they did so.  

 With their goal achieved, the two went inside to mingle with supporters of their charity.  Over the course of the day, they had registered enough people to volunteer there at twice the amount needed.  And with that, the shelter was open for business!

 Once the crowds were inside, Simone whispered, "We did it, baby," to her newly wed wife.