chapter twenty-two

     Phoenix and Obi-Wan had decided that they would start the tailing later on in the night. It was easier to do things under the cover of night so they had gone to Phoenix's painting studio. They had both eaten and Phoenix was feeling a lot lighter. A lot happier with everything that had happened. Something good seemed to finally be happening even though they were going to tail her assassin.

     But Obi-Wan knew that she wouldn't be happy with the fact that he had to report to the Council. He knew that she would probably want him to stay in the main area of the studio for a bit so it would be the perfect opportunity. He could guard the door to the studio and he could tell the Council what they had discovered. The Republic needed an update sooner rather than later. They had already started questioning Obi-Wan's lack of communication.

     Phoenix allowed him into the apartment and she disappeared into the studio. Obi-Wan stayed sat in the small living space, sitting on the chair and placing his comm down. Phoenix was unaware of what he was doing as she walked across the room, a smile on her lips. She decided that she was going to repaint her old painting of Obi-Wan onto a new canvas. Improve it add more detail. Just make it a lot better. She knew that's she wanted to and now with him in the living space, she could do it without the fear of him watching and finding it strange.

     So, she picked up the old painting and grabbed a new canvas to do it on. Squirting out the paints, she didn't even bother to sketch first. She just went straight in with it, having a good enough perception of what she wanted it to look like. The first brush on the canvas was always the hardest to get right for her but once she had started she was off. It wasn't long before a decent chunk of the painting was done as a hour or so had past. She could hear faint voices from somewhere but she assumed it the adjacent apartment.

     So as she grew tired and her stomach grumbled, she headed towards the door. They had opted for a walk rather than get a hover taxi that day since Obi-Wan wanted to see Mith and Phoenix obliged. Showing him everywhere they used to go before they arrived at the studio. Now she was starving and she was only slightly regretting the hour-long walk. She wanted to order some food so she decided to check if Obi-Wan wanted any too.

     As she opened the door and stuck her head through, she noticed that he was on a comm with Palpatine and the Jedi Council. They were being projected out but in smaller form. A soft sigh escaped her lips as she listened to them talking about her and the assassin. Why was he even telling them? He hadn't spoken to them since they arrived on Mith. It didn't seem logical for him to speak to them if he didn't have any real news. A possible suspect was nothing compared to actually catching them.

     He was giving up all the information they had on the assassin and if the assassin happened to have spies, she would know that the Republic was on to her. That Obi-Wan and Phoenix were onto her and were going to find her. His admission to the Council just felt like a bad idea. But she had no choice in that. Obi-Wan was already telling them so she turned around and went back into her room. Discarding the painting for now. Instead, she moved to sit on the window seat. Her hands resting on her lap as she looked to the outside world. Watching the hover-car and people mill about. They looked like small ants from how far up she was. The frown spreading across Phoenix face as she watched.