four

The next night, Taehyung crashes on Jimin's bed and declares a slumber party. Jimin voices out how stupid that is since they're already living together but lets the younger be, knowing that he's only doing this out of worry. They watch movies on Jimin's laptop for a while, and Jimin falls asleep at hearing Tae hum to the song playing in the film.

When Jimin opens his eyes in his dream, he's in the garden and not alone.

"Your Highness," Yoongi says, but his tone is stern and tired unlike the usual teasing and lighthearted ones Jimin is used to hearing when the older addresses him formally. "I think it's time to accept our situation and focus on our duties."

As much as Jimin wants to protest and say that they can work this out somehow, it would be selfish of him to do so. How would Yoongi feel being in a hidden relationship with someone legally married? And even though Haeun already talked to him about this when they've both calmed down and told him that it doesn't have to mean that he would need to leave his lover behind, Jimin knew that it wouldn't do anyone good in the long run.

As much as Jimin wants to hold on, he knows he can't.

He chuckles, but this one is deprived of any humor. "Is it too late to suggest running away?"

"Jimin." He feels the guilt crawl its way up to his stomach. It was only said as a joke, a lame attempt at lifting the heavy mood that befell upon them, but there's always half-truth in jokes anyway.

When they fall silent for a few minutes, Jimin takes it as his signal to end this—to put a stop to their secret meetings at midnight.

He swallows the painful lump in his throat.

"It's getting late. I should return to my chambers." He stands up and brushes the imaginary dust off of his lap. "It was nice meeting you Min Yoongi-ssi," They both ignore the crack in his voice as he reaches a hand out.

"Likewise, Your Highness," When Yoongi grabs his hand for a handshake, they stay like that for a while, just staring at each other before Yoongi pulls his hand away. "I hope for your happiness. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage."

With that, Yoongi leaves, leaving Jimin to stare at his retreating back until it fades into the darkness. Only then does Jimin let out the tears he's been trying so hard to hold back.

There are no goodbye hugs or last kisses as they're not Jiminie and Yoongi hyung anymore, but merely a prince and a knight.

When Jimin blinks his eyes awake, he finds himself wetting the pillow with tears. He purses his lips to prevent any sobs from escaping and curls into his best friend's chest. He's unsure if the younger is still awake or if it's some kind of instinct, but Jimin appreciates it when Taehyung pulls him closer in his embrace.

He squeezes his eyes shut, but for the rest of the night, he stays awake.