14 - "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy"

Okay, you can do this, Y/N. Heh, Y/N. Even after three months, I still haven't gotten used to it. Focus. Right. Okay. I tried to muster the record player, the one I promised Cap. My eyes began to glow a crimson red, and my arms and hands began to glow the same color. I closed my eyes, and when I opened them, I saw . . . 

Nothing.

"Ugh." I sighed, slumping into my armchair. "I'm never going to get it at this rate."

"Hey, don't say that. Just try one more time." Cap said.

"Never." I said, draping my hand over my forehead dramatically.

"Try and I'll make you grilled cheese." He retorted.

Whipping my head to look at him, I said, "you drive a hard bargain, Mr. Captain." I jumped on to my feet and shook out my arm, placing my feet shoulder-width apart. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and recalled the gramophone again. I willed it to appear in front of me, to play a record and have music drift through the air. I was afraid to open my eyes. I heard footsteps cross the floor, and thought Steve was coming to hug me to comfort me from my failure when I heard a slight scratching noise. 

A song began to play, an upbeat song that sounded like a war song. I opened my eyes to see no one there, but the record player was. I was confused until I saw everyone enter the room, all lead by Steve, and they all looked with great surprise and admiration at the record player.

"You did it, Y/N! You did it!" Natasha cheered. Everyone clapped and I laughed, a huge grin spreading across my face. I took a bow.

"May I have this dance?" Tony asked me, offering his hand to me.

"Of course." I answered, and everyone just danced. We didn't care if we looked ridiculous, we were having so much fun. Steve kept telling us we were doing it wrong, and tried to show us the dance that went with the song, but he had two left feet that we all just ended up laughing together.

🌀💮🌀

"Good night everyone!" I called down the hall, as the last few of us still awake walked to our rooms.

Today was a good day, I thought, and as I drifted off to sleep, I felt a warmth spread from my heart to the rest of my body. 

Thud.

I jolted awake, trying to find the source of the sound. 

Thud.

I turned on the lamp that stood on top of my nightstand, and saw two books that fell off my shelf, one of them laying open. I pulled the soft blankets off of me, and stood to pick them up. As I bent over the second book to pick it up, I felt something hard fall on my head. I looked, and it was another book.

I'm being haunted. I realized with annoyance. "Haha, very funny, V. What do you want?" I commanded.

"Think again. Those were the last words I ever heard, as I bled out in front of you." A dead voice said.

"Ben. So nice of you to join me." I said, venom in my words. I turned to see him sitting in my chair, and he slowly turned in it, his fingertips touching their matching ones on his other hand, forming a triangle. "Really? The stereotypical 'I've been expecting you' move? You never could be original."

"Words hurt, Erin." He disappeared, and I suddenly felt a knife pressed against my throat. "But a slit throat hurts like hell." His voice hissed in my ear.

"Oh, put the knife down, Ben." A small, female voice said. A voice I knew all too well.

"Fine." He grumbled, shoving me forward as Verdienen pulled the chair so I crashed into it. The force of it caused the chair to slam into the wall. 

"Are you alright, Miss Y/L/N? Should I send for Mr. Stark, or perhaps someone else?" A familiar monotone voice said over the loudspeakers.

"I'm fine, thank you, JARVIS. Tell no one." I ordered, my voice clipped.

"Are you sure? You seem to have been attacked. I can see a bruise forming on your arms and your temple." 

"I'm fine." I grumbled. "Just leave me alone."

"As you wish."

Several moments passed in silence. Verdienen skipped over to Gestorben, and stood next to him. She had an oozing bullet wound in her head, the scarlet liquid staining the darkly colored suit she was wearing when she died. Her hands were clasped behind her back, and she was swaying from side-to-side, humming quietly to herself. While she was light-hearted and childish, Gestorben was a stern trooper. His burly arms were crossed in front of his chest, and he glared at me with a menacing glare.

"So. Come here often?" I mocked.

"Shut up, Erin." Ben grumbled.

"Benny-" V started.

"No." He interupted, causing the tiny figure next to him to frown.

"Ben, we are here as guests. Be nice." She continued.

"Why are you even here? I haven't been thinking about you two. As a matter-of-fact, I was having a rather enjoyable evening with my family." I snapped at the two specters.

"Yes, we know. We watched." V giggled. I hated that giggle. "It reminds you of when we would laugh together." She responded to my thought.

"Get out of my head." I snarled.

"Alas, we cannot, my dear friend."

"Then get out of my room." I sassed. 

"Erin, we aren't here to hurt you." Ben spoke up.

"Well, the books and knife against my throat sent a different message." I retorted.

"You two!" Verdienen giggled again. "You were always butting heads."

"Why are you here!" I yelled. 

"To warn you." Gestorben answered. "Tomorrow the Avengers are going on a mission, and you will discover . . . something. Ignore it. Think nothing of it. Please."

The door to my room opened, and I saw Tony in the doorway, rubbing his eyes sleepily. "You okay, kiddo? I heard you yelling."

"I'm fine." I muttered. I turned back to the bloodied figures, only to see them gone. "I thought I saw something, is all." I turned back to him and gave him a small smile.

"Want to talk about it?" He asked gently.

"No, it was nothing."

"Alright. Well, it's late, you should go to bed." He walked over and offered me a hand, helping me up from the chair. Before accepting his hand, I flipped off the lamp so he wouldn't see the bruises on my arm and head. He helped me into my bed, and pulled the covers to just below my chin. He kissed my head, saying, "good night, Y/N. See you in the morning."

"Good night, Tony." I replied, before he turned and quietly closed my door behind him. I drifted off to sleep, Gestorben's words circling in my head.

'Ignore it. Think nothing of it. Please.'

🌀💮🌀