2| recollect

Amara's pov

Amara's pov

"My head really hurts." I groan in pain as i rest my head on the table.

"Aww poor baby." Benny said sarcastically as he gently played with a few strands of my hair.

"Can you read the next section to me please?" I beg as i slide the textbook over to his side of the table.

"Anything for you." His soothing voice just made the headache vanish.

"Gosh Benny you are so in love." Kenny DeNunez teased earning laughs from the rest of the boys at the table.

"Shh!" One of the little goody two shoes at another table glared at us. I don't blame her, we were being obnoxious in the library.

"Don't shh me, Amelia Simpson." Ham snapped back at the girl.

Then the bell rang, signaling for us it was our break time.

I finally sat up and gathered my things.

"Hey if your head still hurts i can take you to the nurse." Benny held my textbook for me as we walked after the boys towards the exit.

"No its fine. I'm probably just dehydrated or something." I let out a sigh as i reach for the textbook in his arms.

"No let me carry it." He smiled at me as we walked down the hall. "I have a bottled water in my locker. Lets go."

I walked by my best friend of many years as we went down the hallway full of other high schoolers. We were halfway into our freshmen year and it still stressed me out how many people go through these halls everyday.

Many of them consist of girls just checking out Benny as he strolled past them.

He was so oblivious to it all. But everyone knew who Benny was even as a freshman.

They know he's one of the best baseball players in the town. Not only that but his older sister was really popular in her time at this school.

He was all set.

And what am I?

His best friend.

The one girl who sees more than his looks and talents. Not because i'm different from other girls. But because we grew up together and so he had no choice but to be my friend.

When i was growing up my parents were rarely in the picture.

My dad was sent to prison after my twin siblings Ella and Finley were born. I was eight at the time, but even before that my dad was in and out of my life.