07)Breaking Down

After a one month's mission his mother, Edith, Tom and George had returned home. It was July,Their birthday month. Later in life they understood that they were all adopted. (Though Sam never questioned it and continued to believe Martha to be his real mother) They considered the days they've been told when they were young as their birthdays to be true. All of their birthdays were held in July and it was quite convenient. It was a month of celebration. It was 13th of July, Sam's 10th birthday. By then Edith was 12, Tom and George were 13.

Her mother came to his room to give him his birthday present as she usually did. But this time there was no gift box with her. She sat on the bed and started talking.

'Wish you a happy 10th birthday! Can't even imagine that, ten years has already past. Time is quick' she chuckled. She was excited, her brightened face and sparkling eyes revealed it.'

'Well, I think now you are old enough to comprehend our missions and help us to get on with it.'

'I've already been helping you mom' Sam said in a proud manner.

Hearing that her face glowed. She looked happy.

'Yes honey, but today we are going to give you a surprise. Though you never asked what you were helping us with, I know you must be waiting to know what it was about' she said. It was not quite true though, the boy nodded. He was not waiting for this. But it would to be nice to become aware of it. Since his brothers and sister knew everything he felt like a moron at times. So he was not going to slip this opportunity.

'Really? Are you going to tell me?' the boy exclaimed with sheer excitement. Having seeing his excited face the lady laughed.

'We are going to enroll you in our establishment. Since you are 10 years old now, you can become a part of us. You can be a member of SI group!' She remarked cheerfully.

'Come down stairs;' she patted his shoulders and went down.

Whatever this SI group is, apparently his whole family worked for it. Now he has become an official member, he was proud and felt important. He was taught what they do is not wrong and it's just the ignorance of police to let them be. He firmly believed in that part. He could remember Linda's speeches regarding survival of the fittest or winner gets it all.

Martha, Linda, Cullen, Edith, Tom and George were grouped in a circle around a cake. He went there, cut it and enjoyed the day. While party was still going on, he was given an envelope. He opened it with a happy face. He was told that it's his first mission to engage himself with. He was to leave to Paris next month for his mission with his family. He was beyond happy for getting the privilege to join in their activities.

But after reading the letter he didn't get the expected reaction. His excitement was gone and he looked pale. He was staring at the letter with widely opened eyes. The harrowed look on his face revealed his shock and disgust.

Rest understood something was wrong and asked; 'Why?'

That remark made a huge explosion and destroyed the delicate balance in his mind. He made a wry face at Martha. It was the first time he looked at her in such a way.

'You kill people!' he yelled.

The woman didn't still get it and asked 'What made you so upset?'

He completely lost it and started shouting.

'Killing people is a crime. You kill people for money and talks casually about it.' He told looking through his blurred eyes.

The rest seemed to be confused by Sam's reaction as well. 'Oh; no it won't be easy to kill people. You just have to support me for now. Don't push yourself so hard. One day you will.' she said looking cheerful. She seemed to miss the content of Sam's words.