the cliff

The five kids were out on their mission to find the gate and had been walking for about a half an hour. Dustin was leading the group, next in line was Lucas and behind him was Magnolia. And the caboose of the group was El and Mike.

"Mike." Leah heard Eleven say.

"Yeah? You okay?" Mike asked giving her a worried look.

"I'm tired." El said, Leah knew she was lying, she just hoped Mike would believe her.

"Hey, it's okay. We're almost there alright?" Mike reassured, reaching out and holding her hand.

Well that didn't work, Twelve thought to herself. She looked around admiring the trees, even though they were dead Leah loved looking at them. She had decided that this was her favorite part of the outside world, nature.

Then it hit her, why didn't El just change the needles magnetic force herself. Looking back the two girls made eye contact, thinking the same idea.

Turning back around Twelve looked down at her hands which had started to shake. She hoped they were doing the right thing.

Eventually the group made its way to some sort of junkyard.

"Oh, no."

"Oh, no. What's oh, no?" Lucas asks Dustin.

"We're headed back home." Dustin states blankly looking up from his compass.

"Are you sure?" Mike asks checking his own compass.

"Yeah, I'm sure." Dustin says. "Setting sun, right there." He points behind El and Leah. "We looped back around."

"And you're just realizing this now?" Lucas asks annoyed.

"Why is this all on me?"

"Because you're the compass genius!"

"What does yours say?" Dustin asks the group.

"North." Mike and Lucas say at the same time.

"Makes no damn sense." Dustin says looking around.

"Maybe the gate moved?" Mike suggests.

"No, I don't think it's the gate. I think something is messing with the compasses."

Great. Just great. Was all Twelve could think.

"Maybe it's somewhere here?" Mike thought out loud.

"No, it has to be like a super magnet." Dustin says shaking his head.

"It's not a magnet." Lucas points out, the other boys turn to look at him. "She's been acting weird! They've both been acting weird! If she can close doors with her mind, and I bet she helped her plan it. They could definitely have screwed us over."

"But why would they do that?" Mike questioned.

"Because they're trying to sabotage our mission! Because they're traitors!" Lucas yelled, getting angrier and angrier.

Lucas walked over to the two girls his anger overflowing.

"Lucas, what are you doing?" Mike asks.

"You did it didn't you? And you helped her come up with the plan, didn't you?" He asked the two girls, getting very close to their faces. Leah felt awful, but she kept reminding herself that she was keeping him safe. "You don't want us to reach the gate. Neither of you. You don't want us to find Will."

"Lucas, come on! Leave them alone!" Mike yelled at him again.

"Admit it." Lucas demanded. "Admit it." He yelled, grabbing El's wrist and seeing the fresh blood. He threw her arm away angrily. "Fresh blood, I knew it."