Chapter Nine

Owlwhisper sat with his tail wrapped neatly in front of his large, deadly paws. His bright green eyes sparkled with curiousity. "Yes, Silverstar?" He mewed. Silverstar's old, wise eyes were filled with worry. 

        "Owlwhisper, I- I have only two more lives left." He meowed the tip of his tail waving slowly. Owlstar's eyes widened, pupils slitted from the light coming from a small hole in the side of the den. 

        "Silverstar, no. How?" Owlwhisper couldn't believe Silverstar. He looked of to the old cat who gave him a chance and treated him like just another clan cat. He understood why he killed another cat. 

        "The first was when slipped in battle after a tom by the name of Heronfeather shoved me. I slid on the dew and slit my throat on a sharp rock. He's dead now. Then, A badger pack killed me, third time, I was hit by a large monster while saving Coalfang. I lost my fourth life from a twoleg, he had this stick thing and it made a boom and next thing I know I was in StarClan. Fifth life was lost on a journey to find Salmontooth. He was in my prophecy, long, long ago. He's an elder now; Sixth was lost in battle. Four cats ganged up on me all at once in the forest where no-one could see me. And finally, the seventh was lost recently. About eight moons ago. I died from smoke inhalation in a barn. I was staying there overnight to go to the Moonstones the next day. Lightning struck the barn and it went down in flames. I was about to escape but it was too late." Silverstar finished and sighed. "I don't think Darkfang is fit to be a leader, Owlwhisper."

        "What makes you think so?" Owlwhisper cocked his ears and listened closely. Why is he telling me how many lives he has, and not his deputy? He thought and shrugged in the inside. Owlstar licked his chest quickly and looked back up at him.

        "He is too impatient and doesn't deal with outsiders well. He mocked you. I shouldn't have chose him." Silverstar hung his head for a heartbeat then took a deep breath, whiskers twitching. "A storm, a really bad one, is on it's way. Go warn the elders first. Then the nursery. Warriors and Apprentices after them. The Medicine cat should already know." Silverstar ordered him. Owlwhisper nodded and trotted out of his den and headed towards the elder's den.

        "A storm is on it's way, I will send Apprentices to bring you Fresh-kill." Owlwhisper assured the Elders. They nodded and sat up. Owlwhisper nodded in respect and went up a few large rocks to the nursery. "Everyone, a storm is on its way, a Warrior will be sent to fetch you all Fresh-kill." Owlwhisper mewed, nodded nad trotted out. 

        Owlwhisper glanced at the sky, noticing how dark the clouds were getting. The air became cool, and somewhat thick. He sneezed as a ran-drop fell into his nose. "Oh, hi, Owlwhisper." A small black and white she-cat mewed as she heard his sneeze. She padded toward him, her gate weird, since she has a nub-tail. 

        "Hi... Nightcloud?" He guessed and tilted his large head. 

        "Yeah. Sorry about tackling you the day Silverstar found you..." She smirked slightly.

        "It's fine now. Who was the other cat?" Owlwhisper asked. They had similar names.

        "Bluecloud. He's not my brother. We are best friends." She smiled, her purrs were sweet and loud. "Frostgaze is my daughter. I'll be in the Elder's den soon." She mewed and looked back at the Elder's den.

        "Frostgaze is very beautiful." He purred to cheer her up, since he could feel that she didn't want to be with the elders. 

        "Thank you." Her mew was grateful.

        "Is her father in the clan?" Owlwhisper asked, looking around the camp.

        "No. He is a loner." She meowed. "He was darker than the night sky, and his eyes were a vibrant green, like yours. He was very strong, and large. That's why Frostgaze is so much taller than me, and she was the runt of the litter!"

        "What about the other kittens?" Owlwhisper like Nightcloud. She was optimistic and nice. 

        "I had six, but one died by fire-ants. I had them near a two-leg nest cage. The ants built their nests there. Me and Panther, the loner, moved the others. Frostgaze stayed here. She was the only she-cat. Two of the toms went to live with Coal, one went to live in StreamClan, and one is a loner by himself. The largest of the litter was Falconkit, or Falcon now. I visit him, his brother, Carp, and Coal every moon."

        "May I come with you to meet them this moon?" Owlwhisper wanted to see the cats. They sounded interesting.

        "Yes, absolutely! But, we only stay to visit from sunrise, to a few hours before sunhigh." She explained. 

        "Can you tell the other Warriors that a storm is on the way. An Apprentice will bring them all Fresh-kill." Owlwhisper asked, pleadingly.

        "Sure. I'll talk to you later, Owlwhisper." She mewed and trotted to the Warrior's den with her white, light feet. Owlwhisper nodded gratefully. The clouds were thick and a dark grey. A grey as dark as Darkfang's pelt. The rain poured down lightly, but it came harder each heartbeat. "Icepaw, Wrenpaw, Bluepaw!" He called for the three Apprentices. 

        "Yes?" Icepaw mewed, the other two standing behind her.

        "Icepaw, fetch Fresh-kill for all of the Elders with Wrenpaw. Bluepaw, get at least two small mice or a small birds for Rockheart's oldest two kits, Volekit and Crowkit." Bluepaw nodded. "When you are all done get Fresh-kill for yourselves. "Oh, and Swiftpaw, Cougarpaw, Rockpaw, get all of the Warriors Freshkill."

        "Owlwhisper, you aren't deputy." Cougarpaw, a light brown tom hissed.

        "These were Silverstar's orders." Owlwhisper snapped back, but calmly. 

        "Fine." Cougarpaw snarled, "Come on, guys." He mumbled to Swiftpaw and Rockpaw. Cougarpaw hung his head low, tail high. The others walked with him to the Fresh-kill pile.

        "I recommend you all get going before the rain gets even worse." Owlwhisper told them. They nodded and scurried quickly to the pile of prey. Owlwhisper thought of Cougarpaw, and how harshly he said what he said. Owlwhisper squinted as the rain got worse. The landscape around him was grey and gloomy. He peaked into the Warrior's den, "Sleetfur, I need you to fetch Fresh-kill for Honeydew and Rockheart." He ordered her. 

        "The storm is pretty bad." She said as she walked out of the den.

        "Yeah, it is." He answered back, licking a visible rain droplet off of his paw.

        "Hello, Owlwhisper." Bearfoot greeted  him sweetly, touching her nose to his broad, strong shoulder. 

        "Hello, Bearfoot." He greeted back, touching his nose to her head, since she was so short. "This storm is going to be pretty bad." He looked out of the Warrior's den, the trees bent over as the wind caught them, and the rain falling sideways , making the day gray and strange.

        "Yeah, the wind is terrible." She looked outside, too,shuddering as the wing picked up small stones and dust. She was very sensitive about wind. It scared her, since she was in a tornado before when she was a loner. 

        "Don't worry." He didn't know what else to say. He walked to the back of the den where his nest was and curled up. He looked back up at the entrance of the den, seeing the rain spatter on the ground, and a white figure cut through it. Sleetfur came in. She sat in her nest and licked the rain water off of her matted, white fur. 

        "Mouse bile! I need to check on the Apprentices." He hopped up and walked quickly through the sticky, wet dirt. The bottom of his tail was spattered lightly with mud, making his tail stringy. As he was making his way slowly and nearly blind to the Apprentice's den, Cougarpaw and Swiftpaw ran in from behind the Nursery so quickly that the mud beneath them barely splashed. They looekd around rapidly and spotted Owlwhisper, Owlwhisper! Owlwhisper! We can't find Rockpaw!"

        The suspense!! Haha. I hope you enjoyed this book so far. 

Please Vote, Comment, and share this story :)

The picture in the media is an idea of what Bearfoot looks like <3