Chapter Four

Glares flooded over Owlwhisper as he walked around the camp, exploring his new home. "Stupid rogues.." He heard in the crowd of curious and agitated Cats. He wanted to hiss, but he caught himself, knowing that that'd be a terrible way to start off. 

                "Really, Silverstar? A rogue?" Darkfang, a dark grey tom with black stripes hissed to Silverstar. 

        "Hush, Darkfang! My dreams are never wrong." He snapped back, and Darkfang breathed in heavy. Owlwhisper walked into the Warriors' den, seeing a tom with only one eye and a she-cat with pure white fur sharing fresh kill. "Ah," The white she-cat gulped down a thrush, "Newcomer. He's handsome, isn't he Half-Eye?" Half-Eye nodded, but he was a tom, he clearly didn't mean anything by it. 

        "Hello." Owlwhisper mewed. 

        "Hello! I'm Sleetfur!" Sleetfur, the white she-cat pounced up and greeted him. Owlwhisper purred at her friendly greeting and sat on the soft, dry moss in the den which was covered by thick, dead leaves and branches from Pine trees. He forgot how much he liked Clan life. "Pretty, huh?" Sleetfur mewed and sat beside him, curling her tail around her paws. 

        "Leave him alone, Sleetfur. Let him adjust." Half-Eye's old mew sounded, he was still strong, but it wouldn't be long until he retired. Sleetfur nodded and slunk out of the den. 

        "I hope your stay is great, Owlwhisper." Half-Eye mewed, "If you need help, Sleetfur and I will be glad to assist." Owlwhisper nodded gratefully and walked out of the den, and the sun shined on his sleek fur, and bright sparkles of white, and tan shone. 

             *~*   

        "This is StreamClan territory.." Silverstar guided Owlwhisper around the borders so he wouldn't get into any trouble. Owlwhisper nodded. "We may go back to camp. Well, I will, you stay and hunt." Silvterstar ordered and padded off to camp. Owlwhisper nodded and began stalking. He smelt the air thoroughly, and caught the scent of Water Vole. He crept towards the lake and saw its brown body lumbering near the river's bank. He slid between the Cat-tails and the over-grown Moss. As the Vole slid by him, and he scooped it up in his paws. He smiled and carried it back to camp. As he trotted back to camp, he noticed a sweet scent, and he looked around. He heard rustling in the tall grass and a white and black figure lunged at him, but he ducked, and the figure tumbled to the ground. He hissed slightly and noticed it was an Apprentice. "Whoa there. Where's your mentor?" Owlwhisper asked and his ears twitched in  concern. Before she could answer, a brown-ginger tom darted out of the grass and stood beside the Apprentice. 

       "Sorry, Owlwhisper, noble Warrior. Keeping up with this little one is like racing a Squirrel up a tree." He joked. 

        "Sunfern, you're no fun, why cant I start stalking Rabbits yet?" She whined. 

        "Icepaw, enough! You're too young, and Rabbits are difficult!" Sunfern snapped and scruffed her. She yowled, and her feet touched the ground barely. She was small for an Apprentice. "Must be a new warrior.." Owlwhisper mumbled and followed them back to camp. 

                As he dropped the large Vole in the pile of prey, he heard an Elder coughing. He walked into the Elders' den and saw a sleek, dark brown she-cat with a thick, bushy tail, coughing  while Apprentices were yowling, "Another story!" Owlwhisper hissed at the Apprentices, "Let Pinetail rest! I'll tell the story." Pinetail nodded and padded over to a corner in the den and curled up. 

        "Okay..." he began, "Once, long ago, lived a powerful, yet evil cat named Bloodclaw. He was white, but other Cats thought he was a ginger tabby, since he was always covered in blood. Not his blood, but other Cats'. Well, a warrior named Littlestream knew about the treachorous cat. Littlestream was a small grey tom, and by small, he was a bit bigger that a brand new apprentice!" He cleared his throat before continuing. "One day, Bloodclaw attacked his clan, and his Clan was weak with whitecough, so he had to rid of the terrible Bloodclaw. He attacked Bloodclaw with his little claws, and took his life just like that!" The apprentices gasped and leaned closer. "He helped the medicine cat, and soon his camp was healthy again, and was named a hero, and a new name of Braveheart, because big things come in small packages." Owlwhisper finished, and as he walked out, Apprentices clung to his leg. 

        "Another!" Icepaw mewed loudly. In the back, Pinetail smiled and nodded gratefully. 

        "Tomorrow at Moonrise." He assured them and they mewed while hopping back to the Apprentices' den. He nodded at Pinetail as she bowed her head in thanks. He padded out of the den, the moon staining his back a faint white.