Chapter 8

"Come on, Icepaw. It's time for our training with Derleap and Wrenpaw." Owlwhisper prodded Icepaw in the shoulder. He sat on his haunches while she weakly and sleepily opened her eyes.

        "It's too early..." She mumbled and began to doze off again.

        "No, Icepaw, get up." He sighed and picked her up by the scruff. 

        "Hey! Put me down!" She hissed and kicked around. Her black hind feet barely drug against the ground. Owlwhisper purred in amusement as she rolled her eyes and hung still. As they arrived in the training pit, he put her down. "Never do that to me again!"

        "Then get up when I tell you too." He said sternly, but a hint of amusement was still there. She huffed and shed her claws on the tree nearby. She yawned and raked her claws across a mushroom, making it fly into the air and plomp right onto Deerleap's head as she was entering the clearing. Wrenpaw and Icepaw sounded a mrrow of amusement. "You apprentices think it's all fun and games..." She trailed off, then suddenly kicked a larger mushroom onto Icepaw head, making her sneeze from the spores.

        "Hey!" She laughed and tackled Deerleap, claws sheathed. Deerleap kicked her off gently and Wrenpaw leaped in and bit Icepaw's tail gently. Owlwhisper cleared his throat in the background, standing tall, "Okay then... Where shall we start?"

        "Lets start with practicing a front paw blow. It's a very important technique." Deerleap mewed and circled Owlwhisper. "You have to see it coming." She smirked and striked at Owlwhisper. He dodged quickly, Deerleap slamming the dirt, making the dust fly into her face. "Haha, well," She coughed, "I guess you got things under control."

        "You think?" He purred. He was cut off as a force came from behind, and a dull pain felt on his back. He flinched and spun around, flinging a small Icepaw a few mouse-lengths away.

        "Haha, sorry Icepaw." Owlwhisper purred and licked her head as she stood up. Wrenpaw rolled on the ground purring and meowing with laughter. Icepaw smirked and pounced on him, pinning him, his belly exposed. "You left your belly exposed. If this was real, I could have killed you!" She meowed and hopped off.

        "But you should never turn your back on a rival cat!" Wrenpaw meowed and pounced on Icepaw from behind. She rolled and pinned him again. She shook her head slowly. "Has Deerleap taught you anything?"

        "Hey, Icepaw, mind your business." Owlwhisper hissed lightly. "Okay lets get serious." He mewed and got into attack position, aiming at a large mushroom. "Okay, let me explain. This is similar to the front paw blow. Its called the front paw strike. You use your claws." He rocked his hauches and leaped, reaching out his paw, claws unsheathed, crashing down on the mushroom. He looked at the mushroom as it crumbled to pieces.

        "I can do that!" Wrenpaw mewed and leaped at Icepaw, claws partially unsheathed. He blew her head with his paw, controlling his claws, and raked down.

        "Hey! You could have unsheathed your puny claws!" She hissed.

        "But I didn't." He mewed cheekily. "Is that how you do it?" He asked Owlwhisper.

        "Yes, but with your claws untheathed. Try on that rotten piece of wood." He pointed his nose to the water-rotted branch. "What about me?" Icepaw purred, flexing her claws.

        "You can try that sunflower over their." He signalled his tail to a high standing sunflower. Icepaw shrugged and went into a crouch. She rocked her haunches slowly and rose up, and pounced so quickly, he didn't see it coming. She crashed down on the flower, ripping off the seeds and some petals. She smiled, "Like that?" 

        "Yes, could job." He praised and turned his gaze to Wrenpaw. "Uh.. I'm kind of stuck in a cucumber." He mewed and tried pulling to get his claw out.

        "Ugh, let me help you." Deerleap rolled her eyes and padded to the struggling cat. 

        "Sorry, Deerleap." He cowered as she huffed and pulled his claw out of the rotting branch.

        "It's fine. It won't help, though, if you get your claw stuck in battle." She mewed and looked at his long claws. "Go scrape your claws on the tree like Icepaw did." He nodded and scraped his claws, getting off the old coat. He flexed his claws, "All fixed." He mewed. 

        "Alright, good." Owlwhisper said. He looked back and saw Bearfoot padding toward him, her large, brown paws making a light flopping sound of the ground. She's a good climber. Owlwhisper thought as e looked at the claws peaking through the fur on her paws. "Hey, Owlwhisper. Silverstar told me to get you. You're coming on a border patrol with me, Sleetfur, Amberpaw, and her mentor Leopardclaw." She said, licking her chest fur. Owlwhisper nodded. "Icepaw, training dismissed." Owlwhisper said firmly. Icepaw waved her tail in fare-well to Wrenpaw and went to the Medicine Cat's den.

                                                                                        ~.~.~.~

        "Okay, I'll go this way with Amberpaw." Leopardclaw said, pointing her tail to the north-west side.

        "Okay, I'll be with Owlwhisper." Bearfoot smiled and began walking to the more north-east side.

        "I still don't know all of the borders. Will you show me?" Owlwhisper asked. To Bearfoot, he was huge. She was a small cat with a big brain. She was very smart.

        "Of coarse!" She started to trot with glee. "You know, Owlwhisper, I'm glad you joined us." She purred.

        "I'm glad I did, too." He let out a loud purr, but quickly went mute.

        "You don't talk much." She said and laughed, still trotting.

        "You said that before." Owlwhisper mewed simply, keeping up with the small, heavy-footed cat.

        "Ah, I thought I did, but wasn't sure." She said dryly and stopped. "Here." She mewed and pointed to a shrub. "Mark it."

        "Okay." He marked it and went on to the next shrub. 

        It took until sunset to finish marking the borders. The four Cats walked into the camp. "Come on, Amberpaw, lets get some training in before the moon rises." Leopardclaw said and padded off to the training pit with Amberpaw behind her. Bearfoot waved with her tail good-bye and got a piece of fresh-kill form the pile.

        As Owlwhisper was heading to the fresh-kile pile Silverstar caught up to him. "Owlwhisper, can we talk?

        Wow, guys! Chapter 8!

The picture in the media is an idea of what Deerleap looks like. Give her longer legs, and that's Deerleap :)

Thanks guys, don't forget to vote and comment <3