Chapter Ten

Owlwhisper's eyes filled with alarm and confusion. "Where'd you last see him?" He demanded and looked into the distance, into the rocky slopes. 

        "Well, when we were going ot the Fresh-kill pile, we decided we wanted to hunt ourselves instead of getting it from the pile..." Swiftpaw looked at the ground and shuffled her paws. "A dog bursted through the tall ground by that blue-ish little rocky hill over there," She pointed with her tail, "so we spread out. We found eachother when the dog's twoleg came to get it, but Rockpaw wasn't there." 

        "You had one job, you two!" He hissed slightly, but kept in his frustration. "Come on, we have to go find him, first, Cougarpaw, fetch Bluecloud and Nightcloud!" Cougarpaw nodded and sprinted to the Warriors' den, and came back with the two best friends. 

        "What's going on?" Bluecloud mewed sternly. He sat down, and his tired eyes bored into Owlwhisper.

        "Rockpaw is missing, we need your guys' help." Owlwhisper said and began to trot away into the rocky slopes.

        "I'll help, come on Bluecloud." Nightcloud stood and trotted side by side Owlwhisper, feet lightly touching the ground. Bluecloud scoffed and followed.

                                                                                ~*~*~*~*~

        "Help me!" A desolate voice cried from in the mountains. Owlwhisper shot his head up and looked into the gray blades.

        "It's Rockpaw!" Swiftpaw looked wide-eyed up at the cat who was dangling from a smooth ledge in the mountains. Owlwhisper leaped into the first row of rocks and climbed with all the strength in his legs and hindquarters. He breathed steadil, keeping his breath, but his muscles burned like fire. His thick, hard pads thudding quietly against the stones, and this claws raked heavily among them. He could hear his heartbeat in his ears. He was close to the ledge, but it was nearly impossible to make a jump that far. It was more than five fox-lengths and if he failed, he'd probably lose his life.

        "Owlwhisper! Help me!" Rockpaw cried out, hooking his claws into the tinest crack in the rock to stay up. Owlwhisper observed the area quickly, looking for a new route, but there were none. Determination hit him like a thunderpath monster. He stood back, and gathered all of the strength in his muscles and launched himself at the ledge. He clung to it, but his great muscles pulled him up. 

        "Owlwhi-" Rockpaw was cut off as his gripped loosed, but Owlwhisper raked his claws into the cat's forearm, and grabbed him by the scruff, pulling him up. Rockpaw's eyes were wide, and mesmerized. Fear shook Rockpaw literally, and his fur was fluffed up, making him look twice his size. 

        "Come on, Rockpaw. Lets go."  Owlwhisper suggested and began to leap down to the ground rock by rock with Rockpaw following behind.

        "Oh, you're safe!" Nightcloud cheered and licked Rockpaw's cheek.

        The six cats walked together in a line until they reached the camp. The rain had stopped and the mud was hardening at a leisurely pace. The Apprentices parted to the go to Apprentice den, while Bluecloud huffed and sat by the Warrior den entrance, grooming himself. "Owlwhisper, you were very brave." Nightcloud praised him. "You remind much of Panther."

        Owlwhisper smiled and nodded. "You remind me of a Kittypet I knew when I was just about ten moons. She was sweet and courageous. She has passed, but I won't forget her." 

        Nightcloud purred. "See you later." She pranced to the Fresh-kill pile and grabbed a hare. Owlwhisper turned to the nursery. He entered quietly, making sure he's not waking anybody up. "Greeting, Owlwhisper!" Honeydew, a pale ginger she cat greeted him, her pale blue-green eyes gleaming. Her kits, Turtlekit and Leafkit were playfighting gently sicne they were in the nursery.

        "Greetings, Honeydew." He nodded his head and glanced at the kits. "They are very strong." He pointed out, seeing the small muscles in Turtlekit's arms and legs.

        "Yes, very! They will be Apprenticed some time this moon." She said with flaming pride. 

        "Turtlepaw, Leafpaw..." Owlwhisper said to himself, "Has a nice ring to it." He smiled. He turned to see Rockheart grooming her five moon-old kits.

        "Hello there, Rockheart." Owlwhisper greeted her. Her hostile eyes fixed in him.

        "Stay away from my kits!" She spat and huddled them close to her chest. Owlwhisper nodded and wave his tail in farewell to Honeydew. Owlwhisper loved the smell of the fresh sand and grass after the rain, and the crisp smell of the mountain wind that blew downwards into the camp. His fur ruffled as it blew through. He trotted out of camp capturing all of the landscape. He sat atop a hill, a sillhouette against the sunset. But, he felt uncomfortable. A hostile feeling tingled his spine, and made his fur prickle. The grass behind him rustled. He quickly stood and turned.

        "Who's there!?"

        That's it for this one, sorry it's short.

The picture in the media is an idea of what Honeydew looks like. She is lighter than the cat in the picture, though ;)

Rate!

Comment!

Share!