Chapter Twelve

Cats disbanded as Silverstar lead Owlwhisper and Terra to his peaceful den in the clearing of the large camp. It was a silent walk, like they were kits who dare not talk during a lecture. Rockheart's glare was stained in Owlwhisper's and Terra's fur as they disappeared into the opening of Silverstar's den.

        Terra let out a long breath and start blinking rapidly. "You have to believe me. They were there. Their beady little black eyes... They smelled of  several moon-old crowfood." Her eyes were filled with plead and a strong fear scent flooded the den.

        "But badgers haven't lived by rivers every since the first cats of all four clans were born, why would they start living there now?" Owlwhisper investigated. He looked at her with an unsure look, sitting down slowly, curling his tail in front of his paws. 

        "That is true..." Silverstar contemplated, looking at the ground, then out the entrance of the den, "There's only one way to find out if she is speaking the truth." His eyes were completely serious... And determined.

        "Silverstar, do you mean we trespass on StreamClan territory, risking our life, just to probably not see any badgers?" Owlwhisper tilted his head slightly, knowing that his leader was smarter than this.

        "No. You are farsighted, aren't you? We can stand at the border and observe." His voice was clearly exasperated, but he meant well. Owlwhisper nodded as he stood and shook off his fur. 

        "Lets do this, then." Owlwhisper cleared his throat and waited to be escorted. Silverstar nodded at him and followed him out. Terra remained in the back, her eyes were clearly filled with worry and hope that the badgers actually were real and they weren't just part of her imagination. "Terra, lead the way." Silverstar mewed and gestured her forward.

        "Oh, okay." She padded quickly to the front of the pack, taking in the scents of the river in the distance. "Over here." She mewed quietly, heading towards  a patch of woodlands that was cleansed by the smell of the river. All three cats headed into the woods, following the smell of fish and voles until they saw the clear rush of water through the trees where they stopped and observed the scene. "Th-they should be here, I am sure!" Terra panicked. She didn't want to be punished for lying about something that could kill several cats. 

        "We'll get closer." Owlwhisper nodded and padded closer to the river, seeing the old rotted down wooden fisher's shed. The three cats stood still, they stood like a statue, the only thing moving was their blinking eyes and alert whiskers. The forest around them was silent, like after a successful kill, all they heard was the river and their own heartbeats. Silence. That was until dust appeared on the side the door on the shed was on. Grass began to scatter on the ground around it. Heavy breathing could be faintly heard. Owlwhisper could hear Terra's quickening heartbeat. "I think we should go." She stuttered.

        "No, we must study this thing." Silverstar stared at the movement in the shed, seeing a flash of black white go in and out, the scatter of dead grass getting larger. "It... Is a badger..." He gasped quietly, "and it seems to be nesting." He said in a slight panic.

        "Meaning that it will procreate? This is not good." Owlwhisper hissed to himself. "What will we do? Kill it?" 

        "We can't kill a badger holding kits." Silverstar said, not doubting his decision. "It may be a monster and a vermin to the Clans, but the offspring haven't done anything." 

        "Yet. They haven't done anything yet."  Owlwhisper corrected Silverstar, "If we don't kill them when they are born, they will grow to be monsters. When they are young, they won't be a struggle to kill, and it will be quick." Silverstar thought deeply. Although it was true, it would be difficult.

        "What about keeping them." Silverstar recommended, half it being mumbled.

        "Silverstar, have you got bees in your brain?" Owlwhisper snarled, "It's better to kill them young. Having cats raise them won't fix their attitude. Imagine a clan-born kit being raised by a two-leg: it will be sweet until it has a wild instinct. Then it will either avoid you or try everything imaginable to hurt you." Silverstar nodded slowly.

        "We'll go now, we have to report this to the clan. I don't know how they will react."

        Terra nodded, "I will go now." She began padding away into the woods.

        "No, Terra. You need shelter." Owlwhisper meowed, Silverstar agreeing by nodding his head. "You also have knowledge of the area by the river and beyond that. We'll need your help." Terra bowed her head.

       "I'll be honored to help a clan cat." She purred. The three cats turned back and padded quietly back to camp.

        *~*

        Silverstar plodded onto the High Stone, Owlwhisper and Terra pouncing to the top of it as well. Silverstar rowled  loudly enough to have his meow ring and bounce against each tree. "Cats old enough to catch their own prey must report to the High Stone immediately." Cats huddled together at the bottom of the High Stone, their talking filled the camp. 

        "Silence!" Darkfang snarled loudly behind Silverstar, almost unseen by the crowd of anxious, curious cats. 

        "We have news for the clan that should be thought about a lot." Silverstar meowed, "me, Owlwhisper, and Terra have confirmed that there is a badger prowling the riverside."

        "But, it is holding kits." Owlwhisper snarled after Silverstar was done announcing. The crowd of cats gasped.

        "Vermins!"

        "Kill them!" 

        "They will take over our side of the river!"

        "Quiet!" Silverstar yowled. "Yes, she is nesting and is holding kits. That is the part we need to think about. We need to plan how we will deal with this before they are born." The cats below nodded and he could tell that most were in deep thought. "This concludes this meeting." Silverstar nodded, "hopefully we can come up with something before leaf-bare." He cleared his throat and escorted the cats below him. Owlwhisper leaped down, Deerleap, Wrenpaw, and Icepaw crowded him as soon as he set foot on the dirt. "Owlwhisper, I'm glad you're okay!" Icepaw squealed and rubbed her head against his chest. He nuzzled her head and nodded.

        "I'm glad, too. We need to get a group together, Deerleap, and figure out how we can save our side of the river."

- The media is what Nightcloud looks like :) - - Stay tuned for part 13 coming soon! -