14

Trigger warnings: 

Abuse, Violence, Some Blood, Mental Abuse, Manipulation, and Toxic Relationship.

This chapter may be distressing for some readers so please read and proceed at your own discretion.

🐀🐂🐅🐇🐉🐍🐎🐐🐒🐓🐕🐖 🐈

Kenshin sat up with a start, drenched with sweat from head to toe and shaking in fear. He had just had a frightening nightmare. He looked around the room frantically, hoping to find some indication that he was safe before realizing that no matter how much he searched, he wouldn't see anything, and with that realization, he put his face in his hands and began to sob quietly.

It had been a few weeks since Ayame had told him about his mother's summons for him, and he had yet to go and see her. Kenshin had been avoiding it altogether, not wanting to be anywhere near the main house, but as time went on, his nightmares that he was so used to had gotten even worse.

Once Kenshin had managed to calm himself, he finally decided to go and visit his mother. Kenshin stood up and went over to get his clothes before getting ready and heading over to Shigure's room, not caring if he woke the man up.

"Kenshin? What are you doing up so early?" Shigure asked, surprised when he opened his bedroom door to find the young man ready to go somewhere.

"I'm going to the main house to see her." Kenshin told him; Shigure nodded to himself, knowing exactly who he meant.

"Of course, but why so early? It's five in the morning. I don't think anyone's going to come and pick you up at his hour." He told the younger man as Kenshin smiled at him.

"Don't worry about that. I already made arrangements for someone to pick me up." He said as he began to make his way out of the house leaving Shigure in slight shock.

🐀🐂🐅🐇🐉🐍🐎🐐🐒🐓🐕🐖 🐈

The car ride to the estate was a quiet one as Kenshin thought about what he would say to his mother or what she had planned for him for ignoring her for so long. Once he was at the house, he walked down the quiet halls making his way to his mother's quarters, his footsteps echoing, breaking the quietness that had been there before.

Once he reached her room, he quietly knocked on her door, waiting to see if she was awake yet, "Enter." He heard a soft voice say from inside, and with that he opened the door, walking in and closing it behind him before walking further into the room and kneeling.

Kneeling for his mother was an old habit of his that she had instilled into him from a young age wanting her son to show her she was above him and he was nothing. It wasn't until he was older that he found out why she had taught him this, but when he did find out, he wasn't surprised knowing his mother couldn't handle being thought of as inferior to anyone.

As he kneeled on the floor with his head down, he finally spoke, "Hello mother, how are you this morning?" He asked as he normally did; it was another thing she had instilled in him as a child.

He knew his mother had a wicked smile on her face, gleeful that someone in the zodiac respected her and acknowledged the power she held. More than anyone, Kenshin knew she held no power anywhere but if he tried saying otherwise, she would snap and express her hatred towards those around her.

"I am well, my son. How are you?" She asked as she gracefully got up from her bed, and slipped on a robe before moving to sit in front of him.

"I'm well, thank you for asking." He responded with fake happiness as his head was still bowed, but he felt her thin and elegant finger place itself under his chin and move it up slowly towards her.