8

Kenshin was helping Tohru clean before New Year's, making sure the house was at its best to welcome the new year. They were taking a small break in between enjoying a warm cup of tea, that was until Shigure walked in complaining.

"Ugh. My poor back. Why do books have to be so heavy? I hate that I have to get rid of these. I'll just get yelled at if I ship them to the main house, though." The man complained.

"You're complaining like an old man, Shi." Kenshin informed him bluntly, holding the warm cup to his chest for warmth.

"Hey, Shigure?" Tohru spoke up hesitantly.

"Hm?" The man asked.

"Uh... I know it's terrible for me to ask this when you've done so much. The thing is, my grandfather contacted me, and... it seems the family's going to Hawaii for the holiday. So would it be possibly okay if I stayed here in your house for New Year's?" She asked shyly.

Kenshin couldn't believe her family had left her behind once again; he made a small mental note to look into them before turning his attention back to the conversation.

"Mhm. Course, but is that really what you wanna do?" Shigure asked her knowing that none of them would be home on New Year's.

"Of course it's okay; this is your house too. You could even invite your friends over if they don't have any plans." Kenshin said, giving the girl a smile.

"Thank you both of you I promise I won't cause any trouble." She told them.

Later that night, as they sat and ate dinner, Yuki and Kyo were causing quite the scene. "I'm staying here, too!" Kyo and Yuki announced in unison as they both gave reasons why they weren't going back.

"I haven't been back in four months, so why should I break the streak just 'cause a new year is starting up?" Kyo stated as he took a bite of his food.

"If I show up for the banquet now, what was the point of me leaving?" Yuki argued as Kenshin heard Shigure try to convince the boys to go while he ate happily, assuming this would weaken their bond even more.

"Yeah, at least make an appearance, or else you're going to upset--" Shigure tried to say before getting interrupted.

"No, I'm not going." The two boys stated in unison.

"This is gonna be a pain. Kenshin, your still going, right?" Shigure asked almost desperately.

"Yeah, I am, but if you want help getting them on board, count me out." Kenshin told the man as he ate his food.

"Are you okay? It sounds like everyone's unhappy about something, but I can't figure out what." Tohru asked Shigure as she walked to the table.

"Listen to how unreasonable they're being! These fools are refusing to go to the main house for New Year's, and I'm sure I'll be yelled at." Shigure cried.

"Stop whining like a toddler. Don't you have any sense of self-respect?" Kyo told the man in half disgust.

"But why aren't you going home? Momiji told me that New Year's is, like, a really important holiday for the Sohma's." She told them.

"You're right about that. It's the biggest event of the year for our family. The entire clan gathers together for the celebration. And the most significant part is the zodiac banquet." Kenshin informed her before getting cut off by Shigure.

"You know, a few years back, Yuki graced us with a dance that was the personification of beauty. And every year, our dear Kenshin graces us with a lovely piece on the Koto" Shigure told her proudly.

"Really? Wow!" Tohru asked in amazement. "I wish I had the chance to see both of them perform." She said before Shigure was attacked by food.

"When will you learn to keep your mouth shut?" Yuki asked annoyedly.