22: hands clean of bark and bite

Happy Holidays! <3 Thank you for reading this chapter, for your votes, comments, and for all your support!

See you soon,  

--Ligia.

— Rio — 

— Rio — 

Rio fished the keystick from his pocket. He was about to fit it in his NAV's keyhole when she rested a delicate hand on his shoulder.

"Finally, Sissy," he said without turning back. "I was starting to think Jackal had forbidden us to go." He sighed, massaging his forehead. "I was checking the results for our last experiment and things don't look as bright as I thought." He turned around to face her, his eyes focused on the phone in his hands. "I wouldn't worry, though. We've done some solid improvements in the proportion of—"

The words stuck in his throat when he locked eyes with her.

"Satina!" Rio stumbled back and hit his NAV's door with a dramatic thud. He fumbled to lock his phone screen, then slid it into his jacket's pocket.

A crease started to form on her forehead. Satina's hand slid from his shoulder and hung on her waist. Her hair was longer now, dark-brown in a mix of curls and coils. Different from her villain uniform, the clothes she was wearing were pastel-pink and caramel, with raw leather boots that looked nothing like the shocking blue she used to wear.

"That's my name," she said. Satina fit her hands into her pockets and waited. The air around her was cold and crisp like winter morning. "Caught you red-handed, did I?"

Rio chuckled and smiled, but he couldn't find an answer. His phone weighed in his pocket, carrying the knowledge of all he had done to the woman in front of him and her family.

But he knew if he didn't say or do something right now, his behavior would look too suspicious to ignore. So he forced a smile. "Yeah. I was planning my boss' downfall—I just need to practice my evil cackle now."

Satina chuckled, eyes narrowing. "That bad, uh?"

"You have no idea how infuriating she can be." He let out a sigh mixed with a chuckle, praying Satina would believe him. "I... I had no idea you were released." He cleared his throat and took a deep breath, trying to calm his heart. When Rio smiled again, the surprise in his expression had disappeared. "It's so good to see you!"

He raised his arms in a silent offer, and Satina stepped forward to hug him.

Good.

She seemed to have believed in him.

"Yeah." Satina folded her arms around his shoulders. The stiff leather from his old jacket squeaked. "They released me a couple days earlier. My lawyer can work some magic."