34: by degrees, on his knees (part II)

— Léon — 

Léon's eyes widened and his first reaction was to take a protective step in front of his brother. The shards of glass-like sky wafted down towards the grass and disappeared as if made of ice. As they fell, the broken pieces distorted the scene before Léon. Aíbetama's forest was still luscious and dotted by half-sunk buildings, but the horizon seemed to tilt and twist.

To make matters worse, the people who stood before the dimensional crack were in stark contrast to it. They were numerous, armed, and clothed like a private army. In front of the group of Barbarians, holding a familiar white pistol, stood Count Cae.

"Thank you for showing us the way," Cae said. He lowered the gun and smirked. "It'd be hard to find this place without that reversed lighthouse you had going."

A crease formed between Léon's eyebrows, and he looked around until his gaze fell on his brother's scared expression. Of course. Cae must've seen the moment Pipo's companions appeared.

The crease intensified.

No, wait. That wouldn't be possible. Cae shouldn't be able to see into Caidara's pocket dimension, should he? Somehow, he must have discovered their position. Somehow, Cae must have known where to look.

Caidara widened her eyes and swiped her gaze around. Considering her low string of swearing, she had the same thought in mind.

Rob growled, stealing Léon's attention. Anger echoed in his words when Rob said, "That pistol, it—"

"Belongs to a friend of yours?" Cae offered. He was standing at least a hundred meters away, but his voice ran with clarity into the night. "I thought you'd recognize it. It belonged to your fiance after all." He narrowed his eyes. "The damage this little thing can do is impressive. I might keep it."

"That"—Rafa's voice was low and wobbly—"is one of Toni's guns." She growled. Blood still trickled down her neck when she got to her feet and shouted, "How did you get your filthy hands on it?"

Léon swallowed the uncomfortable knot forming in his throat. Rob cared about his ex-fiancé's weapons. So what? This shouldn't bother him so much, should it? Léon's eyes jumped from Rafa to Rob, until they finally rested on Pipo. Léon offered him his hand. Pipo took it.

"Ah. Officer Taiguara." Cae smirked and stepped closer, his combat boots crushing shards of reality. "I've heard about you." The smile dimmed on his lips. Cae's eyes went up and down, studying Rafa's expression and every inch of her frame. His words were low and careful when he asked, "We've met before, haven't we?"

"I said, how did you fucking get his gun?" Rafa tried to step forward, but every part of her body seemed to lose strength at once. She stumbled. Phillip rushed to hold her arm and give her support, but Rafa shrugged his hand off as if swatting an annoying fly. "Tell me, Cae, or I swear I'll—"

Cae clicked his tongue. He raised two fingers and flicked them forward; his Barbarians split into two groups and streamed into the forest, disappearing from view. "The Mayor lent me the gun," he said.

"As if I'd believe that." Rafa supported her weight on the tree beside her; droplets of blood marred the tall grass.

"He clearly stole it, sister," Rob answered in a low voice. In an even lower voice, he added, "at least he only managed to get one."

"He could fucking eat that shit for all I care!" Phillip said in a hard tone. His hands slipped to his back and he unsheathed his daggers. "There's only one thing I refuse to let him steal." Phillip's eyes snapped to his side, not exactly meeting Léon's. "I mean—three. People. Not things," he corrected in a small voice. "Uh. Sorry."