6: our favorite intern

Here's a little Rob for you, in case you were missing my illustrations! ;) hehe <3 (And yes, I forgot to paint his ear piercings

Here's a little Rob for you, in case you were missing my illustrations! ;) hehe <3 (And yes, I forgot to paint his ear piercings... I'll add them later xD) 

And now the chapter!

— Rob —

It was already dark outside when Rob and Rafa hopped off their dirt-covered white NAV. Rob closed his door with a bang and rounded the vehicle to wait for his sister.

"Will you accept it or not?" she asked. "Marlo can say whatever he wants; this is a good opportunity if you really want to make a career. An I... I suppose I trust Marlo. He still didn't give me a reason to doubt him."

After Rob told her everything about his conversation with the Chief of Police, Rafa shared with him her reasons for refusing to be part of the special joint task force between Old and New Continent. The main one, she had said, was the crazy hours she'd have to pull and how it might impact her treatment—but Rob knew the real reason. She was also afraid of being recognized. Her photo and real identity had been leaked to the press, after all.

"I don't know. I still have this weird feeling when I think about this," Rob said.

"Maybe it's indigestion, Brother," she said with a sweet smile.

"Very funny," he answered, rolling his eyes.

Rafa chuckled, and the smile lingered on her lips as she sneaked an arm behind Rob's neck. With her other hand, she shuffled his hair.

"You're such a good boy. I swear I can't wait to meet Léon and tell him all the embarrassing stories I have about you."

"You wouldn't have the courage."

"Oh? Don't try me, big bear."

Rob laughed and shook his head, sparing his sister a tender glance. She was one year older and a few centimeters shorter, with strong arms and thick thighs carved by muscles. Just like Rob's, her skin was brown and her hair almost black, but her short locks—they were finally growing back after three years of the end of her chemo—were embellished by seeds and one orange feather near her right temple.

"The nerve of some people," Rob said. He raised a hand to push her arm off his shoulders but changed his mind. Every time Rob looked at her, he remembered how excruciating his first months in Old Continent had been. Rafa was still barely conscious back then, fighting life-threatening cancer, while Rob spent his time agonizing over the possibility of losing her again, along with Léon.

He was thankful to have her. Goddess, he was so thankful!

"C'mon, we don't want to keep Kali waiting again," Rafa said. She skipped her next steps—as if she was thirteen-year-old, not thirty—then rushed to cross the double doors of Cidade Santa's public hospital.