28: anima weld (Part II)

— Phillip —

Rafa blinked her surprise away, and Phillip forced a smile.

If Rio wanted him, really wanted him, he would've at least talked to him. He would've been honest. But he didn't, and Rio's mistrust would only end up corrupting the bond they shared. Phillip preferred to protect a good friendship before it could become another ruined love story.

Phillip massaged the back of his neck. That whole conversation thing got his muscles tense like Future Perfect Continuous. He sighed, and his shoulders relaxed for what felt the first time since he got off that airNAV in Cidade Santa.

Talking about this was good. It helped. It put things into perspective or some other shit like that.

And to think Phillip had almost let himself slip back into his old, toxic habits and obsessions. He rubbed his face, trying to erase that thought. He'd need to apologize to Léon for all he had done while he was still sick, that's for sure.

"Well, forget about that," he said—maybe more to himself than to Rafa. He set his eyes on her. "Go. You should try to rest a little. You have two students now, and they'll need you tomorrow."

"They'll need me in a few hours."

"Yeah," Phillip mumbled. "Go ahead. I'll stay a little."

She nodded and started towards the cottage while Phillip lay down in the grass. Rafa hadn't completed her second step when she paused and pivoted around.

"Phillip?"

He rubbed his eyes, dried his fingers on his clothes, and sat up to look at her. "Hm?"

"You're not easy to deal with and definitely not pleasant most of the time."

"Uh... thanks?"

She chuckled. "But I think you have what it takes to be a good friend. And I bet Léon thinks the same."

Phillip blinked a few times. His chest warmed up.

"I'd also appreciate a friendship with a sour, noisy, and sincere man such as yourself. If, of course, you never again try to manipulate my feelings for my brother—or anyone else. Unless you want a beating, that is."

He gave her a nervous laugh, but her eyes and the sure way her hands set on her hips showed she wasn't joking. Phillip cleared his throat.

"I hear you," he said. His voice sounded way weaker than he had expected. Phillip cleared his throat and clicked his tongue, laying on the grass again. "Yeah, well." He linked his fingers at the back of his neck. "I guess I will be your friend then since you're begging me."

This time she chuckled. "You prick."

He laughed. And for a second, Phillip thought everything was going to be okay.

***

— Phillip - 09:37 AM - Now —

He couldn't be more wrong.

Nothing would ever be okay if she continued screaming like that.

Phillip had been sleeping at the shore of the thermal lake when the first cry of pain echoed inside the forest, scaring birds and small animals all around him. He had jumped to his feet and was searching through the forest since then, running as fast as his legs could take him.

"Rafa!" he shouted.

She shouted back, but the sound carried only pain and not an answer.

Phillip furrowed his brows. Rafa should be training Léon and Pipo now. What if Cae had found them? What if Léon was hurt? He covered his legs with his shadow trace and leaned forward to increase his speed. With a final, throat-grating sound, Rafa's voice led him to a small clearing at the back of a rock face.