[Short Story] Halloween Special #1

HALLOWEEN SPECIAL - SHORT STORY #1 // GUEST OF HONOR: AJawaid

♥ Do you want to be the next guest of honor and choose a prompt too? Check the link in this line! ♥ 

PROMPT #1: Mnemonic (Fluff) + 3. "I'll take care of dinner—and of you and me." + Zombies, Witches, and Jinn (Léon)

" + Zombies, Witches, and Jinn (Léon)

PHILLIP // RIO // LÉON 

OCTOBER 30th, 2050, 8 months before the start of book #2

Léon would never understand the reasoning behind that decision, but Director Han—the woman sitting at the top of the hierarchy of the First Correctional Penitentiary of New Continent—had decided to give her most well-behaved prisoners a short Halloween leave.

As the heavy gates closed at Léon's back, Director Han winked and waved to the four or five prisoners standing on the street.

"Behave, all of you," she said. "Remember I'll be watching, huh?"

The prisoners shared a nervous laugh. Director Han's power trace was a mystery, but Léon knew for a fact she wasn't joking.

He nodded and fit his hands into his pockets. Two of the others jumped into waiting cars, a third rushed into a taxi, and a fourth sat down on the burning cement of the sidewalk. Léon looked around. There was a lot of nothing as far as he could see, and the sun burned so hot, it made the horizon near the endless road twist and weave as if it was melting.

With a sigh, sunglasses, and no luggage, he started his long walk to New Continent urban area.

Maybe he'd arrive home in time to walk back...

A NAV horn made his shoulders jerk up. A door opened, someone jumped on the road, and as he turned around, Rio jumped in his arms, holding him close. Léon wasn't prepared for it, of course; he tumbled two full steps backward and just barely caught himself before falling.