Chapter 10: Lessons About Heat

⚠️ Warning! Mature content! ⚠️

Night
Delinquent

Ever since I saw her portrait, my mind had been uneasy — restless even. The rusty gears in my brain have deemed this issue as peculiar enough to think about and thus, I got stuck in my own train of thoughts.

Does this mean reincarnation exist? Aside from her honey blonde locks and inhumanly pale complexion, our resemblance was frighteningly uncanny. She didn't look sickly even though her skin tone was closer to the shade of milk than the palest individual I've ever seen. If possible, it only complimented her ethereal features even more.

To put it in simple words, Deirdre Lascelles looked like a prettier version of myself. The epitome of someone with a permanent beautifying filter.

Her name alone seemed to ring a bell inside my head, but no matter how hard I tried to recall where I've heard it from, I failed to come up with any satisfactory answers.

That's what happens when you possess the memory capacity of a goldfish.

"I would like to propose a toast for our great Alpha!" A brawny man who sported a thick beard roared, gaining everyone's attention. While raising a glass in one hand, he turned to Cal and placed a firm grip on his shoulder. "Brother, on behalf of these mated lads, I personally welcome you to join our humble club! Congratulations for finding a lovely mate!"

Joyous cheers erupted from the lively crowd and soon, people began to clink their wine glasses together. Realising several eyes were drilling holes on to my hunched figure; I quickly buried those thoughts, rolled-back my shoulders, and instantly replaced my frown with a big fat smile. Swirling a glass of red wine to show my fake enthusiasm.

If only they knew how he got me here in the first place.

Thirty adults surrounded the long oak table. Tonight's menus were piled in the middle. To name a few; roast pork, marbled steaks, and venison stew lured even the most sophisticated man into its mouth-watering clutches. Despite their varying ranks, everyone just mingled and sat wherever they please. However, Carson, Theo, and Alex were nowhere to be seen.

And here I was, being formally introduced to Cal's other beta, Alexander Grant. Remembering him was fairly easy, because nobody could forget a shiny bald head. Plus, wasn't he the stoic driveway guy who stopped us earlier this morning?

As if sensing my boredom from listening these two men talk about security protocols, a chirpy woman with flaming red hair engulfed her arms around Alexander's. After giving him a peck on his cheek, she focused her light grey eyes on mine.

"Gentlemen, give this poor lass a break will you?"

Extending her dainty hand as a form of introduction, her pouty lips broke into a warm smile. "I'm Eva, Alexander's mate. Care to join us for dessert? My son won't stop talking about you," nodding her head towards Horus who was devouring an ice cream sundae like no tomorrow.

Cal gave me a soft reassuring squeeze before dropping his arm from my waist.

Without giving it a second thought, I accepted her hand. Excited to meet that little munchkin whose eyes lit up the very moment he saw us approaching.

But, before I had the chance to squeeze Horus' chubby cheeks, Eva beat me up to it.

"Horus, honey, look! Your friends!" She jutted her chin towards a group of kids playing tag on the other side of the room. "Tell you what? I'll allow an extra slice of chocolate cake if you play with them now."